1. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Premise.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by adamant, May 28, 2007.

How many of you have actually come up with a premise to your story? They're basically a description of your story in about a sentence or two. Share some if you'd like... but I guess that could get people paranoid about others stealing ideas.

Example:

When a betrayed woman is offered a suitcase with a gun and 100 untraceable bullets—giving her the ability to seek revenge on the ones who wronged her with total impunity—she must make a moral choice about seeking vengeance on her enemies. 100 bullets

2. Crazy Ivan

Crazy Ivan New Member

You're talking about ideas for our own books, right? Because I'm pretty sure I've heard of that 100 Bullets somewhere else.
    Oh, well.
    Here goes:

In a bleak future where overpopulation and government corruption has obliterated the way we live life today, supermarkets and restaurants are outlawed. When two men, a schemer and a dreamer, open a secret restaurant, it becomes the center of complex life stories and a rebellion plot. Speakeasy 2054.

Marcus Lake trilogy:
    When teenager Marcus Lake is shot while trying to save the life of the president, he is accidentally thrown into the darkest corners of the afterlife, and must run across America trying to escape a conspiracy that is in turns political, magical, and religious. Morticide.

A year later: Marcus Lake is suddenly thrown into a worldwide crisis: Ancient, forgotten gods are appearing in the modern world and wreaking havoc, and while heaven works desperately to solve this mystery, Marcus must accompany a mysterious girl across the Earth, hopping from one mysterious location to another, to save the world. Untitled, sequel to Morticide.

Heaven and hell are fighting an epic war over who should control a rip in reality that has opened up in Russia. Meanwhile, Marcus Lake, having been adrift at sea for two years and forgetting everything about his past life, finds himself drafted into a group of demons called The New Vices, who plan to use his powers to sabotage the politics of hell from underneath, and then take over the wreckage of the war.Untitled, final book in trilogy.

An aging rock star goes on one last tour; two high-schoolers are thrown together by a murder mystery at their summer camp in the middle of nowhere, while a strange hermit girl watches them; a desperate father takes his family on a cross-country trip to avoid the people who want to take his home; a girl-in-disguise searches for her brother, a mysterious hearse travels across America, and the river is rising...On The Road.

In an alternate world where belief is reality, a mad king evacuates all the peasants from his city. A small boy forgets his beloved teddy bear and begins a long and winding trek back to the city to get it. Along the way he picks up many bizarre companions, and gets into trouble almost constantly. World.

Middle School Trilogy
    A group of middle schoolers on an academic team, united to each other in various ways, make their way through a few weeks of school, dealing with sex, drugs, peer pressure, competition, and everything your average middle school is faced with. Things We Don't Say.

The same group is back, this time thrown in the middle of a steroids scandal that involves some of the members of their team; a student council election that fiercely divides the group in half; and a huge school musical that looks like it will never be ready for the stage. Untitled, sequel to TWDS.

It's summer, and the team has gone to Washington DC for a nationwide competition, where cheating and rivalries threaten to do in their friendships. Meanwhile, kids get lost in the city, get involved in flings, deal with divorces and treacheries, and more. Untitled, final book in trilogy.

Not a book, but a musical: Using modern songs like what is done in Moulin Rouge, this story is set against Civil War USA. Two rival men join together to run away from their small town and join the army, dreaming of adventure; but they soon find it's not what they expected. Meanwhile, one of the men's sisters gets worried, and goes off after their trail, falling in with a travelling circus and getting involved with a romantic piano player. One man falls in love with a black nurse, who is physically abused by the white man who runs her plantation and forces her to stay with him; the other (The one with the sister) dies. Dixie.

3. adamant

Heh... you seem to have a lot of work on your plate. Regarding the first of the 'Middle School Trilogy', it seems a little dull to refer to it as "...and everything your average middle school is faced with."

Having a bit of trouble on my own currently, but it's something like:

When society rejects a young woman, she becomes an implement of destruction towards the consensus religion. With the aid of a deity, she commandeers a group to bring about a new world order. Iconoclast

...or something like that.

4. powertodream

powertodream New Member

Nicholas Barstan, government functionary turned revolutionary, fights to bring democracy back to the US. Arkady Matazov, ex-Colonel and now government killer, struggles with his beliefs in his assignment to kill Nicholas. Ultimately, beliefs are sacrificed for reality, and both Matazov and Nicholas realize they are only mortal. The Mortal Gods

5. adamant

What exactly do you mean by 'government killer'? And the 'beliefs are sacrificed for reality' seems odd... but I guess you've accomplished the mission to raise questions. Now if only I knew the answers.

6. powertodream

powertodream New Member

government killer, as in kills for his government. Didn't mean for that to be unclear.

7. adamant

Oh... I wasn't sure if you meant assassin, spy, or he was sent to actually dismantle other governments.

8. powertodream

powertodream New Member

Yeah...I can see how it would be confusing. Thanks for pointing it out.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

try 'government-sanctioned killer'...

10. powertodream

powertodream New Member

Thanks! That sounds much better (and clearer!)

11. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Coming up with a premise...

Sometimes I actually write out the premise of the story if I already have a fairly clear outline of the story in my head.

If I don't have the above I try not to write out a premise - I don't want to limited what i can come up with as the story progresses.