1. JaceSakuraSakura

JaceSakuraSakura New Member

{Help} Given me a picture of dresses/outfits.

Discussion in 'Research' started by JaceSakuraSakura, Dec 31, 2019.

Hello, I writing an dark fantasy anime-ish book, set in historical (1750s-1930s) British, France and Japan but however I struggle designing with characters.

So can someone send me a picture of simple-interesting dresses for some inspiration on my characters?

2. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

That's an awfully long period of time. Fashion changed a lot in 180 years. You'll need to narrow your timeframe a bit.

J.D. Ray likes this.
  3. J.D. Ray

J.D. Ray Member Supporter Contributor

You're aware of a website called Google, right? It has an Image Search function. Here's a sample. I recommend expanding the search.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=nineteenth+century+european+dresses&rlz=1C1GCEB_enUS843US844&sxsrf=ACYBGNQxIwEcde0-g8U1VKinh0OUyDWScg:1577829945190&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiyopjL8uDmAhUKrp4KHbDpBG8Q_AUoAXoECA4QAw&biw=1276&bih=572&dpr=1.5#imgrc=83Ia-KhgPvR-HM:

Naomasa298 likes this.
  4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I hate to be negative especially as you are new to the site, but Ray pretty much hit the nail on the head - only you know what you need so you need to do your own research ... especially as as Nao says that's a helluva big time window.

that aside when 'designing characters' what they wear follows from who they are, what they do, and where they do it - so you might be better staring with plot and using that to determine what types of characters you have and from that what they might be wearing

JaceSakuraSakura and Naomasa298 like this.
  5. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    I'd suggest looking at the materials available as well - wool, linen, silk, hide, furs, leather, cotton, etc. What techniques existed in your time to make clothing? Did they have looms, spinning wheels, needles & thread?

I think functionality would rule the day, not fashion. Like, no tie dyed colours or fur trimmed capes in royal purples...how much time and money did people have to worry about clothing? Clothing just had to keep you warm and provide some basic modesty.

6. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Well, other than that, fashion also varied enormously between the social classes. A peasant isn't going to wear the same clothes as a nobleman. The OP's parameters are much too vague.

J.D. Ray likes this.
  7. JaceSakuraSakura

JaceSakuraSakura New Member

Ok even though, this is my first time going on a fourm something like this, so I'm not experted like that. (So I guess, need to research more from myself).

8. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    @JaceSakuraSakura - there's nothing wrong with asking, sometimes people will point you in the right direction. And sometimes it cause you to go in a completely different direction that sparks a story....maybe better than your original story idea.

I found out about Google Images from a question I asked years ago on another forum...didn't know it was a feature before that.

J.D. Ray and JaceSakuraSakura like this.
  9. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

@JaceSakuraSakura - here are two inexpensive books that might get you exactly what you want. You can do worse than get yourself an actual book, because then you can reference it whenever you want, and get some ideas you might not otherwise have had. The 'Bibliothea Universalis' one is particularly interesting. (I used to own a copy, but gave it away when it was no longer needed.) I think this particular version is only one of 6 volumes, but you can get it in a single volume as well, which isn't terribly expensive. It's good in that it deals with costume from all eras through to the end of the 19th century, but also features 'all' areas of the world as well. And not just clothing, but hairstyles, accessories, etc.

These are screenshots taken from the UK Amazon site, but you can probably find these books elsewhere as well. They're a good place to start your search. Screenshot 2020-01-01 at 07.15.34.png Screenshot 2020-01-01 at 07.13.39.png

JaceSakuraSakura and Harmonices like this.