1. SamWun

SamWun New Member

Help- Learning enough about Cryptocurrency to Write about Related Crime

Discussion in 'Research' started by SamWun, Feb 9, 2022.

Considering it's only a subject that's going to become more relevant, and even recently a couple was arrested - I don't think I need to look up anything suspicious, but simply learn about cryptocurrencies and related subjects as crime doesn't really change; though I'd like to know what is different in a more digital age.

Aside from looking at other cases- Is there anything in particular that would be good to look at?

2. GeoffFromBykerGrove

GeoffFromBykerGrove Active Member

Currently Reading::
    "The Crossing" Cormac McCarthy, “Reality+” by David Chalmers
    There’s a Cryptocurrencies for dummies book/series of books. That would start you off.

And as a teacher, I’d say the same as I say to my students: Wikipedia is a good place to start (it’s not as bad as it was), but follow it up using the references and go from there.

If you are starting from scratch, then go from there.

3. MartinM

MartinM Banned

@SamWun

It’s an open-ended question. What knowledge do you expect your reader will have? How much knowledge will he need to know to enjoy/understand the story?

Book to look at Mastering Bitcoin by Andreas M. Antonopoulos. This will give you a good insight into the history of BTC and why it exists. However, not all cryptocurrency units are the same. Look at ADA or ETH and why they are different.

You yourself must have a good basic understanding of financial markets and regulation. Money laundering and the three stages is a must know to why crypto exists. Also, the political boundaries of currency limits and the endorsement by JP Morgan that made BTC acceptable.

Next, the scandals

The 10 biggest scandals that rocked the Blockchain world - Planet Compliance

Ruja Ignatova - Wikipedia

Carefully read through the cases and make sure you understand each Blockchain crime.

Your story is the problem. Anybody wanting to read a crime thriller with crypto angel will probably want more detail than the average NETFLIX caper of a crew of ex-special forces with nerd attached to tap a keyboard. Go too deep a dive and it’s a finance lecture...

Here’s a start, hope it helps

MartinM

4. SamWun

SamWun New Member

Thanks very much for the help- Definitely have a lot to look at and think about. Appreciate the help.

5. KiraAnn

KiraAnn Senior Member

I hope it will be more believable than the FBI: International episode in January where an armored car was hijacked with $3 B in Bitcoin was stolen !

6. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Just read the episode summary. Did they at least say something like the car contained the keys to the crypto on a USB drive (like a wallet) or written on paper?

7. KiraAnn

KiraAnn Senior Member

I did not watch it. What I saw beforehand was that the crypto was in a ton or two of hard drives, and no where else.