Tags:
  1. Zeppo595

Zeppo595 Contributor Contributor

Help me choose a plot for a story

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Zeppo595, Apr 21, 2020.

I thought this might be an interactive way to write a story. I have a few plot ideas. I'll write a one/two sentence synopsis for each. Let me know if you like any of them. Or none of them! Or are confused by any of them. Thanks!

1. A failed painter meets a spontaneous young woman whose inspiration improves the quality of his work. Yet when her behaviour becomes more dangerous, he is forced to cut her out of his life, perhaps saving his sanity but also diminishing his creative power.

2. A filmmaker is spurred on by his wife to direct his first feature and - beginning to believe himself a genius - has an affair with the starring actress with disastrous consequences for both his marriage and work.

3. A procrastinating aspiring stand up comedian keeps creating conditions to delay his move to New York, first saying he needs to study more craft, then read more, then travel more until finally real life events from the covid19 crisis make it impossible for him to move and perform comedy

4. A happily married family man has a nightmare that he had murdered someone as a child and buried the body in his old garden and so driven mad with a desire to dispel the fear in his mind, he goes back to check. Yet in this manic obsession with his dream, he neglects a very real danger to his family which tragically takes their life in his absence.

5. An alcoholic writer has his autobiographical script green lit in Hollywood and a young director casts him in the starring role. Yet with filming almost complete, his alcoholism - the very thing that had driven him to this point - derails the entire project.

6. A teenager learns to play popular songs on the piano in hopes of impressing a girl, but she ignores his performance at the school. This rejection inspires him to write a successful song, which she also ignores. Finally when he lets go of the pretense of making music, he gets her attention only to realise he prefers his relationship to his instrument.

Cdn Writer and Viserion like this.
  2. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I like 1 and 4.
    Probably cause I like stories about creativity and muses and 4 because it sounds a bit like a thriller.

The others - number 5 could get tedious with the alcoholism, 6 sounds good only it sounds like a short story, 3 could be very quirky which could be good. 2 could work although I've only read a few books about affairs that I've actually liked. There's a balance you have to maintain in not making your characters look like major jerks for the bulk of the story.

Which one most interested you? I usually pick a story by what character or idea I want to delve into for months at a time.

Cdn Writer and Rzero like this.
  3. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

These are pretty good! I like 4 and 6 the best. I think 6 has superb possibilities, but you'll need big subplots to resolve happily in there.

4. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

Write them all. Use them as exercises and practice different style within each. You could play with types of perspectives, or maybe try a minimalism plot with some of the more dialogue heavy ones. Practice in volume.

Cdn Writer, Rzero and jannert like this.
  5. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Contest Winner 2022

This. ^^

6. cosmic lights

cosmic lights Contributor Contributor

Not that taken with any of them. If I had to pick I'd say 1 had more potential. But you could write them all and see which one feels better.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  7. Oxymaroon

Oxymaroon Contributor Contributor

A couple of them are Twilight Zonish; I'd stay away from 4 in particular.
    5 is kind of Where the Buffalo Roam, which i hated, even though I like both Hunter Thompson and Bill Murray.
    I like 3 as an introspective story that you might actually care about; whereas the others, you're just being clever.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  8. Zeppo595

Hmm not sure I'm really seeing a twilight zone connection. It's like not like there's a story where one guy is the same, but everyone else is different.

Or a smash cut ending and it turns out all the characters are in fact fruits trapped in a fridge. That's twilighe zoneish from my understanding.

I don't consider myself clever or even trying to be. I would love to be able to write fun twilight zoney stuff though.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  9. Oxymaroon

Well, any of those stories would be fine, if they were delivered with compassion.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  10. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Twilight Zone I think referring to twist endings. They get what they wanted but there are unforeseen consequences that rob the fruit of its sweetness, like the TZ story of the man who wished he had all the time in the world to read, then was given exactly that opportunity but broke his only pair of glasses (in a controlled environment were he wouldn't be able to get replacements). Like getting wishes granted by a Genie (or by the Devil) but there's always a twist that makes the anticipated heaven into a hell.

Steve Rivers and Cdn Writer like this.
  11. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Of course your stories aren't as over-the-top as those are, they're much more realistic situations.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  12. dbesim

dbesim Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

I do like 6 and 1. Reckon 4 is very interesting too. Don’t know if you have enough time to draft something up for all of them. You might find that it’s the less interesting prompt that gives you better characters or more interesting subplots. I think maybe begin by starting with a paragraph or two for each of them.

Relating to writing prompts: There’s this book that’s been sitting on my amazon wish list for years

It’s ideal for members of the forum who enjoy drafting their stories exclusively around given prompts. There are some fantastic ideas in this one.

642 Things To Write About

96021D67-C730-4393-ACA0-8DA1CB1AA589.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    Cdn Writer, love to read and EFMingo like this.
  13. Zeppo595

Alright, interesting to learn 6, 1 and 4 were somewhat liked!

I will try to write them all. Making a premise work is tough as hell, but I'll try my best to enjoy it as a writing exercise. I find the hardest thing is knowing what to write, so it's always good to have some ideas and have at least a bit of faith the ideas have some promise.

Thank you everyone!

Cdn Writer and EFMingo like this.
  14. Rzero

Rzero Reluctant voice of his generation Contributor

That's exactly what I liked about it.

All 6 have potential worth exploring with at least a short story, but 4 was my favorite. I would actually play up the Twilight Zone aspect. It sounds like you have connections in mind that might fit the bill.

Not every TZ episode had a twist ending, so that's not necessarily what I mean. Often, the dark irony was present through most of the episode. They were twenty-nine minutes long. If there were nothing to each story but a trick ending, it wouldn't have been much of a show, and probably wouldn't have run for 158 episodes or gone into reruns a thousand times.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  15. Oxymaroon

Twenty-nine minutes of film can be several thousand words in print. I like Rod Serling's stories, and they're wonderfully cinematic, as well as accessible.
    Just - I wondered whether that expertly-trodden path was where Zeppo595 intended to go.
    The story ideas struck me as just a little too pat; too academic.
    As I said, any of those could make a good story if written by someone who cares about the characters and what happens to them. I thought #3 had the most potential for an interesting character and with perhaps the least predictable outcome.
    I'll be interested to see how they all turn out.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    Cdn Writer likes this.
  16. Zeppo595

I don't know if it'll be anything like the twilight zone until I write out, though I suspect not. It might be kind of generic psychological thriller-ish. But I've never written anything like that before, so I hope I'd enjoy the process of trying something different even if it lacks artistic merit.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  17. Zeppo595

18. Fervidor

Fervidor Senior Member

I'm noticing a pattern here. You mostly write tragedies, huh?

Cdn Writer likes this.
  19. SNJade96

SNJade96 Senior Member

Personally, I like 4, but that's probably just because I enjoy books that are weird and sort of fever dream-ish. But I know that's not a common thing, so maybe don't go with that one?
    I'd say the next most intriguing one was 6, but you've already written that one, so 3 seems interesting.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  20. Zeppo595

Hah. I guess I do.

Anyway, I wrote them all and unless I heavily edit the rest, only 6 will survive.

I just didn't really connect with the characters in the others. It felt like I was just connecting the dots of the plot, but I wasn't really into it. I never got into any kind of zone with it and quite honestly, it was not enjoyable. But maybe I'll do some surgical work on them, and that might be more fun.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  21. Damage718

Damage718 Senior Member

Any or all of these could be good. More than that, they seem to have the latitude to work as either a short, or a full length. Heck, write them all as shorts and put them into an anthology :D

Reading through them, they kind of remind me of the old HBO show Tales From the Crypt in the late 80s/early 90s. Anyone ever watch that? I used to love that show. The plot lines in the OP could be like log lines for episodes on that show...similar vibe.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  22. Lance

Lance New Member

Really interested in your first, and forth idea. Philosophy in a story can really make a story come alive.

The third point reminded me of a video on YouTube. It is a philosophy video. I hope I'm not breaking any rules with this link, could not find anything in the rules saying I couldn't!

Yes writing all six if anything will improve your writing ability's. good luck!

Cdn Writer likes this.
  23. LazyBear

LazyBear Banned

Too many stories are about aspiring artists due to authors' experience bias, so it feels old already.

If the main character is a villain, it's a big challence to make it credible without losing the reader's empathy.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  24. Zeppo595

It's not 'experience bias' to use elements of your own life and interests in fiction. None of the things the characters do in these plot ideas are situations from my actual life.

It gets old if I write the same type of story in the same style. For example, if EVERY story is about some artist who fails in a way the reader expects.

I'm not interested in writing about heroes and villains. Every character should have a little villain in them.

Steve Rivers and Cdn Writer like this.
  25. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    Check out "Creepshow" on the Shudder tv channel. It's written in a similar vein. Usually a one hour program with two 30 minute esipodes. One of the recent ones was a retelling of "The Monkey's Paw" which I didn't care for but it was interesting.....

Scott

Damage718 likes this.