1. Kittencasserole

Kittencasserole New Member

Help me create a new last name

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Kittencasserole, Apr 17, 2018.

Hi! I’m a non-writer with an odd question that I’m hoping this community can help me with. I’m looking to change my last name. I was severely abused by my family and I no longer wish to carry their last name. I like the idea of changing my last name to some variation of the word “Matricide” because my mother was my primary abuser and I want my last name to signify that I’m now the person I would be if my mother didn’t exist. Also, my current last name begins with an “M” and I’d like to keep that first initial to hold onto some of my identity. But I certainly can’t go around with the last name “Matricide” and I would love some help changing some syllables to make the meaning of this new last name less obvious. I would love some input from some experts!

Indigo Abbie likes this.
  2. Indigo Abbie

Indigo Abbie Member

Due to the fact that I'm assisting an actual human being to name themselves, my brain bank went empty under pressure, but I did not want to comment without at least one idea for you though. Chalfon; change, it does not fit the exact guidelines, but I thought maybe it would appeal to the sense of becoming a new, free person. I also made a poor attempt at rearranging matricide and I got Matredise.

I just wanted to say good luck on your journey and I hope you're able to find a name that makes you happy. I'm so glad to hear you earned a fresh start and escaped a bad situation. Best wishes. :cheerleader:

Cave Troll likes this.
  3. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I don't have any ideas off the top of my head, but I will give it some thought and get back to you if I come up with anything good. Just wanted to say that it's great to hear that you were able to get yourself to a better place. Family has a lot more to do with love than any bloodline, in my opinion. As you recreate yourself, hopefully you are able to recreate what family means to you and who you'll let in it. It's super hard to say enough when it's a parent who is abusive. Whatever you had to go through, know that you are strong for surviving it. Everyone deserves love and to be treated right. I hope you find those things to go along with your new name.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Indigo Abbie likes this.
  4. Kittencasserole

Thank you so much for the kind words. They mean a lot! Your suggestions are super helpful.

Indigo Abbie likes this.
  5. Kittencasserole

Thank you so much, that is so sweet and encouraging.

6. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I have no out right answers for you. Though I have been there myself, though it was
    my father, and I did not feel that changing my name would fix anything. It is difficult
    to let go of the deep scars that mar your soul.

But if you must change your surname if you will believe it will help, then I suggest
    that you look into your families origin, and choose a name based in where they
    have come from on a cultural level.
    (Cause there is not much of interest in simply calling yourself Smith, since it
    is way to common and dull.) :p

Good luck, junge Dame, und alles Gute. :supersmile:

GIR Gonna Hug You.png

DK3654 and Indigo Abbie like this.
  7. dprice80

dprice80 Member

My advice to you would be to chose something more positive. Matricide means to kill your mother right? Using a variation of that name, you would be defining yourself based on your history with your mother. While it might achieve one goal of hurting her in some way, you would be limiting your own future. You have an opportunity here to head in a positive direction, to be redefined on your own terms. I can't choose a name for you, but you should think about choosing something positive that signifies that you are a new person.

AJ Colher likes this.