Help me flesh out this sword's powers?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by rktho, Apr 12, 2017.

1. R.Eagle

R.Eagle Member

Come to think of it, would dragons even use swords? Their hands are surely different to ours, wouldn't they use different weapons? Wouldn't they use dragonfire and claws to attack? Swords come across as being a very human weapon.

That mobius guy also has a point. Why would a sword be imbued with special powers? Any boring old gun could potentially have more destructive power than any of those swords. Who cares about super speed and strength when you can just shoot the wielder when they're a hundred feet away? I get that there aren't guns in this world, but swords themselves have inherent flaws in their design which stops them from being considered as all powerful weapons. Man - even an archer could potentially have a superior combat advantage over a wielder of these weapons.

... maybe if these were artifacts or armor to be worn rather than weapons, I could make more sense of it. After all it seems like the swords' power come from the fact that they upgrade the user, the swords themselves don't make use of super speed or super intelligence. If it was armor they could potentially always have their powers attached. Making it a sword just makes it more cumbersome and less convenient for the user. They would always have to hold it if they wanted to use its power, and these super powers sound like they extend beyond mere combat usage.

2. rktho

rktho Contributor Contributor

Yes, dragons' hands are different from humans, but Khrizans hands aren't so very different. Their fingers are longer and instead of fingertips they have claws (no snapping for them.) Also, they can't breathe fire. That ability died out when they began to evolve.
    Wearing the sword (i.e, at one's side in a sheath) also grants a set of powers. From the suggestion of a ceremonial sword that inspires fear and awe, Qualor would actually be most useful when one is wearing it or displaying it rather than using it. And yes, they should be somewhat cumbersome. It helps limit their power. Checks are a sign of great power. If something is powerful enough that it needs to be limited, it's a pretty good indicator that that power should not fall into the wrong hands. That's why the three branches of government are separated. It's why magic has rules in fantasy. It's why often only the worthy can unlock certain powers.
    Really though, swords are just the first thing that comes to mind as a symbol of a weapon, at least in ancient times. The swords' powers outweigh those of non-sword weapons, let alone ordinary swords. Swords are majestic things. They're not as clumsy or random as a gun, but an elegant weapon for a more civilized age. So really, the reason the Elder Swords are swords is for the symbolism.

It does give me an idea though. In my novel, the azra, the source of one's magic, changes color based on proficiency. The more proficient you become, the greater your abilities. By proficient I mean you are an expert in the ability you already possess. As you become more proficient in magic, your abilities expand. You can levitate things higher, teleport over greater distances, hold a stronger forcefield for a greater length of time, etc. Once your azra has turned silver, a sort of ceiling is imposed. Only those who do not use dark magic or use light magic for evil can attain a golden azra. This doubles the abilities of a dragon with a silver-azra. Since few become proficient to even attain a bronze azra, a golden azra is very rare. Perhaps I can grant firebreathing to those with golden azras. Fire is very dangerous and must be controlled and used with discipline. The ability to breathe fire would be a sign that one has the discipline necessary to use it.

3. Phil Mitchell

Phil Mitchell Banned Contributor

It's not? That these swords seem to possess infinite energy seems very major. After all, it takes infinity to resist any and all values of force.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  4. rktho

They're not infinitely powerful. That would be way too overpowering. The Rishnaran can't have that. It's bad writing.
    That said, they are the most powerful artifacts in existence, except for when they're combined, when they become even more powerful.

5. Phil Mitchell

If it's only held together with finite energy, that means a greater finite energy can overcome it, meaning it's breakable.
    You say infinite power is bad writing, but then say indestructibility is nothing major. I don't see how you can say both things when they're mutually exclusive.

6. PilotMobius

PilotMobius Active Member

I don't think medieval times were elegant or civilized. There were people unscrewing their pommels and throwing them at each other left and right!

7. rktho

Any excuse for a Star Wars quote.

8. rktho

I mean, just because your weapon is indestructible doesn't mean you are or that you can't be defeated. Especially if you also have an Elder Sword. That would level the playing field a bit.

9. Jun

Jun Member

This is the overly realistic and gritty setting-maker in me but... I think having 1000 more swords next to you than the enemy does is a pretty damn good advantage. Haha. For real though, political and monetary power would be something I actually choose out of all of your swords. Amplifying my personal powers are good and all... but I'd rather have an elite, overwhelming army win my battles for me with just a single word from me. Even if the sword doesn't grant me political and monetary power equaling that of kings and emperors, more money and political power will mean you will almost always have numerical and moral upper-hand in your fights. Not to mention you will always be better fed, clothed, armored and armed (and all your fellow companions too) than your opponent will be. Hell, this sounds stupid but you might be able to BUY all the other swords you want.

With that being said, I'm sure you've written a story that is completely different than a man just pointing fingers on a map and rolling around in gold coins so... my advice isn't too helpful...

This I do very much like. Intimidating and/or scaring the enemy can give a huge advantage to the wielder. It might even avoid the fight altogether and just make the enemy surrender at the wielder's feet. Or just negotiate in the wielder's favor.

Infel likes this.
  10. rktho

I find myself liking the idea that the sword radiates fear and/or awe, the way Hitler's name was feared in his day and is hated now, or how nearly everybody in the world right now is talking about Trump and Putin. Qualor would be the most powerful sword-- by reputation. It's not necessarily true, but it's power causes others to believe it, so it becomes the most powerful. And it uses its own magic to help itself live up to its reputation.
    So if some pathetic wimp used it, you'd see him as a pathetic wimp-- the way a dictator can be laughably short-- but the weapon he wields would make you fear him.

11. TyrannusRex

TyrannusRex Active Member

Yeah, that's what I thought of for "perceived power".
    Like, it simultaneously makes you seem badass ("Oh, that sword... I'd better not mess with that." or "LOOK at that sword! RUN!") while also making the user feel powerful ("Yes, as long as I have this sword, I am the mightiest being on the planet! No one dare face me! My name will become legend!").

12. Phil Mitchell

Doesn't sound like the victim is perceiving power, but rather the sword magically making onlookers cowardly. Cos it's a pathetic wimp with a magic sword. Even if it was wreathed in shadow and flame, this is fantasy. It's like NO WAY! weapons can have magical powers! ? :rolleyes:

You'd have to describe it in a way that scares the reader to be effective. That's the difficult part.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    rktho likes this.
  13. TyrannusRex

"The blade looked like it was wrought from cursed steel long ago. Covered with nicks from clashing with-and probably breaking-countless weapons over the years; he could only imagine that cruel, jagged edge cutting throats or severing heads, its sharp point being forced through foe and innocent alike. This blade's legend had been forged in blood, and the very thought of it, and the man who now wore it, had him trembling in his boots."
    Probably not my best description, but it sheds light on what could be done with the concept.

rktho likes this.
  14. Phil Mitchell

You think regular soldiers with any numerical superiority would turn into trembling from that? Seems like a hard sell if the wielder still looks wimpy.

rktho likes this.
  15. rktho

Kim Jong-un's people fear him.

16. Phil Mitchell

They fear the regime, not the man.

17. rktho

Exactly. So Qualor's enemies would fear the sword, not the dragon. And the sword's power would be such that even a person who wouldn't be intimidating on their own would scare the crap out of their enemies.
    Also, it doesn't have to be fear. A leader can be loved and respected. A billionaire can have many people sucking up to him to get special benefits.

18. Phil Mitchell

Except unlike an army/regime, one sword isn't scary. It's only scary to civillians and low to regular level soldiers in low numbers. You can tell me otherwise, but I wouldn't think the sword was scary, I'd think the terrified opponents are just pathetic.

rktho likes this.
  19. rktho

You're right. Hmm...

20. TyrannusRex

I thought what made it scary was its own magical power or whatever. It just summons fear in its beholders/enemies.

rktho likes this.
  21. rktho

That's correct. But I also wanted it to be feared by those who simply hear its name. (They would have to know its reputation already, though. But its power would be such that simply telling someone about it would suffice to that end and cause them to fear it.)

22. Phil Mitchell

You need a certain degree of spinelessness/lack of discipline to begin with for the presence of fear to stop you though.

rktho likes this.
  23. Elven Candy

Elven Candy Pay no attention to the foot in my mouth Contributor

Dragon with Qualor swings sword at opponent. "Drop your weapon."
    Opponent drops sword and dies by Qualor.

The only downside is a fast-moving fight.

24. rktho

Yeah... A little too OP. But what power could a magic sword share with an economic system or a government?

25. Elven Candy

Elven Candy Pay no attention to the foot in my mouth Contributor

Well, the others have given you a few suggestions on the government aspect, though that might be considered OP, too. Could it make people just like the wielder more? Sort of like how people naturally like charismatic characters; the sword would give the illusion that the wielder is charismatic. That would keep it from brain-washing people into obeying, but it would definitely help with politics and finances (for example in bargaining). Not very useful for actual combat, though.

rktho likes this.