1. ToBeInspired

ToBeInspired Senior Member

Time Stamps?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by ToBeInspired, Apr 7, 2017.

My Camp NaNoWriMo WIP prologue is from the perspective of a character that isn't properly introduced, as the lead antagonist, until later in the novel. There are certain points I need to get across within the first 3-4k word count. I would be able to save some space if I was allowed to put a location/time stamp at the beginning of any chapter that has a different perspective. I know it's used in film relatively often, but I haven't seen it as much in literature. Is it considered acceptable, it's a fantasy novel, to use location/time stamps? Also, as a sidenote, I'm including miniature illustrations at the start of each chapter.

2. Apollypopping

Apollypopping Member

I personally have never paid any attention to time stamps. Then I get lost because the author has relied on time stamps to tell me when something is happening.

3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Sure. Lots of writers do this. Tom Clancy is the first that comes to mind, namely because his stories were all over the place.

4. ToBeInspired

ToBeInspired Senior Member

Well, I feel that's partly the author's fault for not making it more noticeable. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have that problem due to having chapter art. It attracts the attention of the reader and will cause them to see the time stamp. Also, I'm not really relying on it. All I really want is a single location stamp at the start of the prologue.