Tags:
  1. Aldarion

Aldarion Active Member

Dragons and magic

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Aldarion, Dec 12, 2019.

In my world, there are several types of magic, which are connected to religions but also to sides of the world. Primary (story-wise) are Water and Fire. But water and tree worship are connected. And magic itself is connected with magical creatures. Now, I am unsure of when and how exactly I will be introducing dragons, but I do want to have them - even if only to be mentioned as mythological beings.

So, I have made these connections between magic type and type of the attack used by certain dragon species/group:
    Plant magic dragons: Acid
    Fire magic dragons: Fire

However, I am unsure of what connection to make for water magic dragons. Acid? Boilling water? Boilling water is certainly debilitating, but compared to acid and fire it seems to be far less lethal. Another possibility I considered is ice, of supercooled variety (so maybe -200 - -250 °C / 25 - 75 K), but what effect would such an attack have on surroundings and living beings? And what can remain liquid at such temperatures and yet not immediately turn into gas upon being ejected? Only thing I can think of are certain types of alcohol... can't figure out whether drunkard dragons are funny or terrifying.

Of course, there is also a question of how to associate dragons with air and earth... only thing I can think of is to have former fly without wings and latter not fly at all or even burrow.

2. Thorn Cylenchar

Thorn Cylenchar Senior Member

With water: steam- anyone who has ever had a bad steamburn knows that it is no joke, and it would be hard to block as would flow in through gaps in armor and would easily blind foes if it gets in the eyes. This would disorient and panic their prey making them easier to take down.

For the earth dragons, I like the burrowing idea, maybe have them look like a cross between a gopher and a heavily armored lizard?

Aldarion likes this.
  3. Aldarion

Aldarion Active Member

Thanks. That would work, though steam would have rather short range.

As for earth dragons, I thought something similar to actual burrowing lizards, though these would technically be drakes.

EDIT: Right now the list looks like this:

TYPE - ELEMENT - ATTACK
    Wyvern - Water - Steam / Boilling Water
    Wyvern - Plant* - Acid
    Wyvern - Fire - Fire / Napalm
    Drake - Earth - Burrowing
    Wyrm - Air - Sonic / Scream

* NOTE: Subset of "water" element

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  4. Thorn Cylenchar

Thorn Cylenchar Senior Member

The water dragons having an attack with a short range could lead to other traits. For example, well some dragon types may be more aggressive as their attacks allow them to take out the enemies before they can be attacked, with a short range water dragons may be stealthy and focus on sneak attacks. Maybe have a natural camouflage like a chamelion?

5. Aldarion

Aldarion Active Member

Natural camouflage and pack hunting tactics, perhaps.

Thanks.

6. lucidink

lucidink New Member

I would say a combination of boiling water and hot steam would work well for a water dragon.