1. Superbean

Superbean Member

Introducing supernatural elements

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Superbean, Oct 12, 2014.

I have been talking to a friend of mine about writing and we disagree on this one point about writing supernatural stories. He says that it is totally OK to introduce the supernatural inn later books while I think you should bring it on from the start. You could tone it down a lot in the first book, but it should still be there nevertheless. What do you guys think about it?

2. jonahmann

jonahmann Active Member

Either/or.

3. tonguetied

tonguetied Contributor Contributor

"The Supernatural Inn" sounds like a good book title. Inn at a nudist colony where ghosts of past residents that look like Dorian Gray portraits start exposing themselves. Just kidding of course.

I think I would be a PO if I started reading a series that I didn't think was supernatural and then it changed into that, I am not a fan of supernatural.

4. Okon

Okon Contributor Contributor

Yeah, foreshadowing usually makes for a more solid story. Of course, there are exceptions—mostly in serial: if your protag is a travelling doctor, why can't he come across a case on a cold night in Fall, his patient slowly turning into a muncher-faced walking tree with carnivorous intent?

5. Empty Bird

Empty Bird New Member

I'm going to have to agree with you. It should be a constant part of the story- perhaps you don't need to go into it properly immediately, but as long as it's mentioned in the ofset, it seems a little better...

But then, there are people out there who I'm sure would be able to seamlessly write it in without anyone's eyebrows shooting up in distaste at the randomness of it all.

But seriously, who wants to get engrossed into a tale of a kid who is dealing with realistic things to it suddenly flipping- a random zombie popping out?? I know I wouldn't.

Katherine Melmore likes this.
  6. Christine Ralston

Christine Ralston Active Member

There should be some foreshadowing to let the reader know it is leading toward something supernatural. Not everyone is a fan of this type of story, so not everyone would have an appreciation for such a surprise. Even those who do enjoy supernatural elements will appreciate the foreshadowing...it adds to the anticipation.

7. Superbean

Superbean Member

Right. Imagine reading a good book you love, then you find out it's the first in a series. Oh joy, until the second book slams some supernatural stuff in your face.

8. Superbean

Superbean Member

I agree that some people could write it in and make it seem perfectly natural, but in most cases I would want to know if the series I am starting is plausible or not. It's like reading the first book about Matt Scudder and in the second he battles aliens.

9. Empty Bird

Empty Bird New Member

I get it. I suppose one thing about writing is that you can't believe that you'll be the only exception to the rul, you've got to write knowng that there are other people out there who dream about being that one exception too. Write something brilliant, but if you're deadly serioius about being published, it's important to know what things you have to hit to actually be published.

10. FrankieWuh

FrankieWuh Active Member

All the advice I've been given by agents etc is to show your intentions without throwing those reader-curveballs, so I agree with everyone here ...
    But ... there are no absolutes in story-telling, so I agree with caution. After all, what about From Dusk til Dawn? Dropping vampires into what is in effect a Tarantino thriller worked very well. Not sure how it would on the page, but I think it depends on the style of the story rather than an absolute no-no.

Empty Bird likes this.