1. PaulKemp24

PaulKemp24 New Member

writing environment

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by PaulKemp24, Jan 10, 2013.

I read today that Stephen King wrote "Carrie" in the laundry room of a single-wide trailer he was living in with the typewriter balanced on his knees (true??)

Hunter S. Thompson cranked out "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" during an 8-day binge in a Ramada Inn near L.A. and what he wrote during those 8 days was what was published (no editing besides spelling, no re-writing).

Any other anecdotes like these of writers producing famous pieces from obscure places in obscure ways? I find them quite inspiring. I'm sure it's been done here before but I thought it would be neat to hear of any others.

2. Searching4aMuse

Searching4aMuse New Member

Very interesting stuff. Tolkien wrote some of The Lord of the Rings while in the trenches during World War 1.

3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Faulker supposedly wrote As I Lay Dying in six weeks, and he claims he didn't change a single word.

4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

These days I do a lot of my writing in my bedroom, sitting on the edge of my bed and typing on my laptop on a table in front of me. That's where I am right now.

The rest of my writing is mostly done at my work desk in my office. It's in another part of the house. (I'm a consulting engineer and my partner and I share a house.)

Sometimes when the weather is nice (it usually is, here in Southern California, dammit), I take a notebook outside into the back yard and write there, collaborating with the local squirrels.

5. live2write

live2write Senior Member

I can only write when X-files plays on my netflix.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

J.R.R. Tolkien served in World War I, but the writing of parts of the Lord of the Rings was in letters to his son Christopher, who was serving in World War II.

7. Searching4aMuse

Thanks for the info, but I got my info from a documentary that I watched on Netflix and it said he wrote parts of it while in WW1 while in the trenches. Maybe they had the wrong info, but it was interesting nonetheless. It was called "National Geographic: The Lord of the Rings"

8. blenderpie

blenderpie Member

Since The Hobbit was published after the end of WWI, and he wrote that first, I would fine that hard to believe. I think Cogito is right. c:

9. BallerGamer

BallerGamer Active Member

What he was doing in the trenches of WWI was building the world of middle earth. The actual writing of Lord of the Rings didn't come until much much later. In fact WWII was what helped inspire Lord of the Rings.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

11. PaulKemp24

PaulKemp24 New Member

12. Searching4aMuse

Hmm, maybe that's what the show said. Thanks for clarifying.