1. Prophetian

Prophetian New Member

Novel Interludes

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Prophetian, Jan 12, 2009.

Hello all,

to get my question out there right away:

How does one handle "interludes" best? In the current project i am working on I have pondering on a certain idea...

After each chapter, I would like to give an interlude. For instance:

I start my story with a prologue, giving some background. Then my first chapter comes. Everything there happens that needs to happen. The end of the chapter is there, instead of getting to a new chapter I go to an interlude, giving background of some details that will be of importance later in the story.

Would you say this is a wise idea? I'd love to post what I have for reviewing. Its just i'm a bit scared of it (English isn't my first language so I'm afraid it will look a bit simple...)

Basically, what is the opinion on interludes?

2. othman

othman New Member

Well, in my opinion it is all about preference. I personally don't like interludes as throughout a book I remember the majority of things, but there is no certainty that everyone will.

Feel free to post your work, don't be shy! And if you point out that English isn't your first language then no one will have anything to get at, as everyone here is nice and everyone realises it's even harder to write not in your main language!

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

sounds too complicated to me... and will destroy the flow of the story, forcing the readers to leave its 'world' and be dumped back into their own every time, which will severely hamper getting them and keeping them 'engaged'... and engaging the reader, drawing them into your story is what makes good writing and a successful novel...

seems to me, you're sacrificing the effectiveness of your tale, for the sake of being 'fancy'...

4. Prophetian

Prophetian New Member

Its not the idea of being 'fancy' as you put it. Its just, I have so much to tell... Perhaps if I find a way to just add those parts in the main story, in the chapters I could remove interludes.

The problem is i'm creating a world so big that I think it is needed to draw the readers in that world. Using interludes was my first choice because I thought that would "work" best. I don't know really.. Never really done anything like this.

5. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

I would not recommend it. It will remove the reader from the story and therefore could bore him/her.

I suggest you just put the tidbits of information in throughout the chapters to make for an engaging story.

If you feel this is an integral part of the story then make it something like a diary entry every 3 or so chapters.

It could go indepth into fears or goals of a certain character and you can relay the information through them.

6. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

I have to say... not a fan of interludes. Neil Gaimon does that throughout American Gods and it drove me up the wall. I would get everything you feel is pertinent into the story without resorting to info dump type writing.

Also, if you plan to post something for review, I recommend you go to New Member Introductions and tell us a little about yourself first.

Welcome to the forums! :)

7. Prophetian

Prophetian New Member

Oh I did that some time ago. In december I think. Just been busy afterwards :)

I'd like to thank all of the above so far. Really makes me think about what to do now ;)

I'll post something to review tommorow I think, if my shedual allows it.

8. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

Oops. I bet yours was one of the threads that disappeared. I thought you just signed up because your oldest post is 2 hours ago.

Sorry about that, should have looked at your join date.

Told you I was silly. :p

9. Prophetian

Prophetian New Member

My post dissapeared?!?!?

I am outraged!!!! I will not stand for this ;)

10. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I agree with everything said herein. It's like making an aside to the audience in a movie. Once might be cute and have purpose, but continuously would grow distracting, that kind of shtick tires quickly. This is no different than author intrusion. In fact it seems like planned author intrusion. Let the story tell the story, not you the actual human being behind the pen. You, the author, should be transparent.

11. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Hi Prop.,

Interludes are no different than any other plot device in a story...they must capture the imagination and interest of the reader. As you describe them, I am envisioning an "info-dump" between each chapter. This could spell disaster, as mammamaia indicates, with the flow of the story.

On the other hand, if you can find a way to make EACH and EVERY "interlude" both compelling and relevant to the plot, then I suspect you could make it work. I would not go so far as to say it can't be done...but I will venture a guess that it will take an extraordinary writer to successfully incorporate such a format. Maybe that's you. And, don't be discouraged by naysayers about attempting such a feat...remember, against all conventional wisdom, Columbus sailed off the end of a perfectly flat world!

Good luck, if you proceed with your idea.

12. Prophetian

Prophetian New Member

I find all these posts have valid points, wich I will take into concideration.

I think you for these ;)