Tags:
  1. DarkPen14

DarkPen14 Florida Man in Training Contributor

Help with a creation story

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by DarkPen14, Oct 14, 2019.

So, I'm working on a tribe religion that puts a high emphasis on family. It's a matriarchal society, and the tribes creator is a goddess they consider themselves the children of.
    The problem I'm having is, I'm having difficulty with the creation myth. There are other gods in the setting, the world was made way before this goddess had kids that became these people, I'm just struggling with the basis of their religion. In Christianity, God made the universe and whatever, so God is recognized as the creator, similarly, I want this creation myth to do with the importance of family, since that itself is a big part of the religion. Any advice?

2. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

The Japanese goddess Kishimojin (the Hindu goddess Hariti) was once a demon who devoured children. The Buddha stole one of her own children away and hid him. After searching desperately for him, she asked the Buddha for help. Buddha pointed out that she was suffering after losing just one child, and that made her realise how other mothers suffered from having their children stolen and eaten, so she became the goddess of childbirth and protector of children.

3. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

4. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Parallel Myths is a good book to read by j.f. Bierlein.
    The Yoroba creation myth has Oshun and Orolun, a goddess and God. Oshun molded life on earth, but they didn't become alive until Olorun breathed life into them.
    In Madagascar, the creation myth of the first people was there was an old man, an old woman, and a young man. They isolated themselves from one another. The old man grew lonely and carved a statue of a beautiful young woman. One day, the young man walked by it and fell in love and stole it away from the man. One day after that, the old woman saw the statue and and also fell in love with it and stole her from the young man. The woman treated the statue like a child, clothing it and nurturing it. One day the young man and the old man found the woman and they all argued. God came down and turned the statue into a person and told the old man that since he created her, he is the young woman's father. Since the old woman cared for her, she is the young woman's mother. Since the young man fell in love with her, he is now her husband. (The first family)

I'm still reading the book, and it has myths from a lot of different cultures in it, but it may be something worth taking a look at :)

5. Aceldama

Aceldama free servant Contributor

Currently Reading::
    The bible
    Just have the other gods be the goddesses family.