Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jo epic

jo epic New Member

Help with a little evil

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by jo epic, Sep 13, 2011.

I need help with an evil character for my book.... you see the setting is post a apocalyptic earth where this guy (Felix) is the warlord pretty much but how would he rule what would he look like.... i am open to discussions

I NEED HELP !!!!!!

2. Timothy Giant

Timothy Giant New Member

I find the term 'post-apocalyptic' a little too broad to say anything useful, unfortunately. Could you perhaps expand upon this a bit?

Suggestions thus far: someone becomes an evil (tyrannical?) warlord on post-apocalyptic earth. Why? Because he somehow dislikes human beings, perhaps, or because he has some kind of syndrome involving being hit/'handled'/something else that's terrible in his youth. Or maybe he is just a psychopath with no sense of remorse (or no sense at all, for that matter).

If you want a really 'human' tyrant, try looking up real human tyrants of the past (Khadaffi, Mubarak, Hussein, or, if you want to go back further, Caesar Nero, Atilla the Hun) and read into them. Their history/youth/reasonings might be found online.

3. jo epic

jo epic New Member

...got it let me give you a little of the background i have made so far...

this is after a new Nazi Germany takes over the world in the form of an Oligarchy later one kills the rest for the usual personal gain... near the end of his life the old (dictator) starts a course of self delusion thinking the world would be better as a memory of him frozen in time so he makes a super weapon (sorry dont know what yet)
    but because he rushed the construction it wasn't perfect leaving small groups of humans behind. and then because of time and human nature it becomes anarchy.....
    this is when Felix comes along i use the word tyrant but it is not exactly correct it is more like successor his father was the one who really captured all the land now a uncle does most of the land taking but Felix it the one who spends time on torture and research.... i want him to try make the "perfect" almost like Dr. Aribert Heim

4. Timothy Giant

Timothy Giant New Member

Ah, alright, that's a great deal more info!

So Felix needs to be some sort of masochistic scientist-type, experimenting in unaccepted ways on his victims? You could easily (but boringly) make him as being a psychopath, finding pleasure in torture. If you're looking for a more interesting character, you can also say that, for example, he is actually not as bad as he seems, but he is controlled heavily by his uncle, who thinks he is really bad. His function is to get info from prisoners/kill them, but he doesn't really want to, so he experiments on people to find a way of making death as quick as possible or is trying (by way of experimenting) to find a way to make someone seem dead (for about a day or something, after which he wakes up). All his badness in this scenario actually comes from his uncle, so as long as his uncle isn't there, he actually isn't that bad after all. But only within the (tight) boundaries the uncle has set.

If this doesn't catch your fancy, you can also make him a scientist through-and-through, doing everything to discover more about his field (poisons? biology in general? something else?). In this scenario, he doesn't kill/experiment because he hates people, but because he loves science.
    Alternately, you could make him hate people and come up with an original reason why. Does he also hate his uncle, or only the 'enemies'? Perhaps he secretly wants people to stop warring, so is trying to kill as much as possible, as soon as possible (the 'fight war with war'-mentality). Or, gripping back to the aforementioned idea, he could be discovering a way to make all people peaceful/apes/obedient?

Does this answer your question at all?

5. jo epic

jo epic New Member

.... :-D idea

overview this his uncle has set boundaries for him very firm and he is actually very young he discovers mind control but it takes mind linking the plan goes astray and their intelligence is integrated into both of them so the uncle becomes a genius and the kid becomes evil then they can work in harmony one trying to create a super soldier (biology mutation) while the other continues to take over the world near the end their minds could untangle creating a drastic twist in the plot .... hows that :D p.s. thanks much :D

............ if you are reading this plz point out the holes in my design that is how i work
    i cant fix something is i don't know whats wrong with it to create a believable personality i need criticism

6. Timothy Giant

Timothy Giant New Member

Sounds great and you're welcome!

Alternately, you could say the uncle deliberately spoiled the project in order for their minds to become linked (somehow knowing what to do to accomplish that). But that's just a minor detail-idea. Great concept though!

7. jo epic

jo epic New Member

hey its thanks to you .... i am thinking about one of my more well developed characters (almost an anti hero)but that will be for tomorrow on a different thread ..... unless.......nah tomorrow

8. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

Sorry if this comes across as rude but these are things the author should really work out on their own. How Felix rules is greatly going to effect the immediate atmosphere of your novel and the way in which people interact. These are things that will define the course of your novel and, by extension, the plot itself and therefore are things that you should come up with the basics of for by yourself. Asking for help once you know roughly how it works is one thing but at the moment it sounds like you're just throwing out a name and a role and asking us to create the character for you.

9. Timothy Giant

Timothy Giant New Member

Just out of curiosity, then, I'd love to know why Jo can't ask us for ideas? Why, exactly, is it a bad thing to want input from a forum?
    Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I don't really see the point of not being allowed to ask for creative input.

10. Cordoma

Cordoma New Member

Timothy, there are times when you may want to speak up and call someone out. This is not one of those times. It's not worth it, my friend.

Jo Epic, you want an evil character? Keep in mind that nobody is really evil. You may want to buy a good book on human psychology. It will help you immeasurably.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.