1. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

Help with crests/symbols

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Stormsong07, Sep 12, 2017.

I suppose this falls under setting...Not sure where else to put it, anyway.

I'm developing the insignia for my military units. I have several companies, and I need a crest (what would be on their banner) and a symbol that would appear on their uniform to identify what company they belong to.

These are fantasy units, set in a medieval-esque time period. They are all Beast Riders, and so ride mythological beasts such as gryphons, hippogriffs, pegasi, hellhounds, and a couple I made up, Ursai (bear-like) and Friesencats (like a saber-tooth tiger kind of thing).
    There are also war unicorns, but only the female Riders have them, and I already have their stuff covered.

So, here's an example of what I'm going for:
    Company name is Wild Roses
    Crest is a rearing unicorn in front of a large red rose (this is the female company)
    Tunic symbol is an embroidered rose whose color denotes rank (ie, gold rose for captain, silver for LT, etc. )

Company name is Skull Claw
    Crest is a skull clutched in a large talon
    Tunic symbol is just a skull, again color denotes rank

Those ones were easy...I'm having trouble coming up for ideas for the other companies. All the rest of the companies are male-only, so there would be no more unicorns on crests. Here are the company names:

The Beastlords
    Cold Steel (I have their tunic symbol already, a sword covered in ice, just need a crest)
    King's Guard (maybe something with a crown and a shield?)
    Warcry
    Demon's Bane

Anyone have any cool ideas? Feel free to suggest other company names as well, I don't have a set number to stick to. Only restriction is that there is only ONE female company, and that's the Wild Roses.

2. Surcruxum

Surcruxum Member

Does the animal on the crest have to be a mythological creature or it can be a regular animal?

3. Stormsong07

Well, they deal primarily with the mythological ones, but that doesn't necessarily limit their crests to those. I mean, plenty of Army crests don't picture exactly what the unit does.

4. Surcruxum

Surcruxum Member

Alright, how about "Night Terror", a military unit that specializes in darkness? The crest is a shadow of a wolf's (or panther) head with bright yellow eyes that is facing the right side, with a yellow half moon behind it, and 2 claw marks, 3 tears each, diagonally facing left and right and meets in the middle.

Tunic symbol is the claw mark, and the number of marks denotes the rank. Like a captain has 1 for example.

That's why I asked about the animal, cause i was thinking of either black panther or wolf riders. If u know a dark-colored mythological creature that would be good.

Stormsong07 likes this.
  5. Stormsong07

That has major potential. You see, they pick their mounts from the Beast Preserve, which is a huge area set aside strictly for magical beasts. So just bc they tend to use the main 7 types of beast I listed above, doesn't mean there aren't more choices out there. Those 7 just happen to be the main kinds that bond well with humans, but that doesn't mean there can't and won't be exceptions to the rule. So now I think I will toy with the idea of stealth wolves or panther types, and maybe create a "secret" company that's brought out only for specific night-time missions...thanks for the inspiration!