1. StoryForest

StoryForest Banned

Description of a Flight Simulation Center

Discussion in 'Descriptive Development' started by StoryForest, Jul 5, 2019.

I’m writing a little scifi story that revolves around a flight academy and need help describing the flight simulation center.

In my mind, the flight simulation center is sort of like a video game environment where the students can practice flying via computer generated scenarios and screens. The simulator is also able to replicate things like movement, temperature, and sounds like an amusement park ride. It feels real because the students are able to practice inside a cockpit (that is replicated from the original flight vehicle), and the controls in the cockpit will respond just like the real ones would. (This is important because, in this scifi world, each flight vehicle is different with its own unique control features and designs. So sitting in one cockpit will feel different than sitting in another.) This is done through a bunch of “stations” where individual cockpit units can be “docked” in. The stations will provide power, data, and whatever else needed to make the simulation work.

The style of the story is very quick and to the point, so I’d like to cover this description in 1-3 short paragraphs at the beginning of a chapter before the students begin their practice session. But every time I try to describe it, it turns out very long winded, boring, and slows the pacing to a halt. I even tried conveying it through dialogue but it still sounded contrived and forced. I know I’m not good with words but are there any tricks to describing technical environments like this? Perhaps I can describe some of it while the characters start their practice session, but I’d like to at least give the reader a visual on what the simulation center looks before the session begins. Can anybody come up with a smooth, succinct way to give the readers a “feel” for how the simulation center works without sounding too technical and boring?

2. Spurs06

Spurs06 Member

Could you post the description as it is written in the story?

3. NobodySpecial

NobodySpecial Contributor Contributor

Why not go to one? There's a flight school of some sort at almost every airport, even the small municipal ones. Tell them what you'd doing and they might even let you try your hand in the simulator.

Alan Aspie likes this.
  4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

ignoring the cringey voice over (watch with the sound off is my suggestion) the latter parts of this video show the USAF F15 simulator (or so it says, although the plane shown is an F22 raptor)

5. StoryForest

StoryForest Banned

Wow, really?! I thought they would only let me in if I was working on some high profile project with security clearance and everything. This is just a personal little project, so I feel insecure about asking haha!

Thank you for all the tips everyone, I'll also look at the video to see if it stirs any inspiration.

6. Matt E

Matt E Ruler of the planet Omicron Persei 8 Contributor

That's really cool.

Scifi movies make us think that these things look like movie sets, with holodisplays, space-gray walkways, control panels, etc. In reality most facilities like this will look pretty boring on the face of it. Concrete floors, cables, safety barriers, regular push doors with exit signs, boeing logos, crates, tools, ladders, and equipment (all things I see in the external shots from that video). But the inside of the simulator itself is built to be super realistic. Everything is entirely practical. The simulator is also someone's work space. There's a person or multiple people who work there, maintain it, and know everything about it. It's a multi-million dollar piece of equipment (especially something like the one in that video) and is given quite a bit of respect and care.

7. LazyBear

LazyBear Banned

The passenger plane simulator i tried was just a cockpit with screens on the windows and some mechanics moving it. Looked as if someone had chopped it off from a real plane. Focus on the feeling when the simulator tilts, because this is the difference from computer games. A good simulator might also make your hands tremble just like after driving a real car for the first time, because your subconscious believes in what you see.

8. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

In the military, I recieved training on the pilot simulators for F-18s. It's quite a complex system witha plethora of variables to be introduced.

The basic setup is a cockpit base, dependent on the number of seats included on the aircraft. We had single or double seaters, depending if a WSO was going to be training too. All switches present on the actual aircraft are included in actual scale and actuation. Pilots must due full switch check on entry for proper position. This can be hundreds of switches (quick reference manual always nearby). Oxygen masks and helmets of course are included. Other additions can be included, such as JHEMICS for displaying a targeting system on the helmet, much like HUD in a video game. Depends on the outfit they need training on.

Usually the front half of the simulator is surrounded by LCDs. This is where the controller will set up a scenario for the pilot to go through while conducting his practice "mission." Completed controllable variables, including SAM sites, tanks, ships, civilians, or whatever else is desired.

Controller can also generate errors on the aircraft, such as engine flare ups or flap damage, which will cause control issues. These control issues cause the pilot to need to compensate in the stick or other functions. Very hard to hold a feel force stick to the side for an hour while trying to land.

These simulators are growing in functionality on newer aircraft as well. No g force sim yetwith pilot sim, but that could come in your science fiction approach.

Otherwise, the rest of the room is kept dark and the screens bright or dark depending on time of day. NVGs are possible on the simulators, provided the pilot has one. Aircraft lighting depends on day or NVG modes.

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask.

Cave Troll likes this.
  9. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    If they have the tech in the future, perhaps they could use a grav-generator
    to simulate G-forces by increasing and decreasing based on acceleration and
    the maneuver. :)