1. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

Help With Fixing a Hole in the Plot

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by S-wo, Feb 3, 2010.

I just came around today and realized that one part of my story I personally feel doesn't seem realistic enough for me and that there should be something added to it. I write for myself, but I also write for my potential fans so I would like to make sure that my story is the best that it can be for them.

The situation here involves a group of allied nations gathering to discuss their plans on dealing with a vicious dictator that has conquered to nations and made an attack on a third nation a month ago.

The allied nation group fears that the dictator is bent on making a world empire. The dictator is extremely powerful in his own right seeming to be indestructable, he moves at a bullet-like pace, blades break off his flesh and most magic spells seem to do no damage to him.
    The dictator is control of his country's army in addition to a personal army of his own that can only fight at night.

What I have the group decided on doing is sending a small group to uncover any secret information on the dictator while he is on vacation from his throne and reprt it back to the group. To me this doesn't seem like much of a plan to me and I've been thinking for a while on what else could possibly be done. I brought up the issue of attacking the dictator's base while he's gone, but of course he would think of upping his security while he's on leave. I also thought of issue of trying to negotiate with the dictator, but he's a man that cannot be negotiated with.

Does my first plan seem good enough or does anyone here have any suggestions on what the group can do besides stealing intellect?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

You could be trying to discover his Kryptonite. Or you could find someone dear to him that you could threaten to pressure him to negotiate. Or seek the source of his power, and try to neutralize it.

3. InkDream

InkDream Active Member

How could these guys infiltrate his ranks? Maybe they've already got people on the inside, or maybe they win over some people on the inside. It's happened throughout history. Take the assassination of Julius Caesar, pretty similar scenario. Some of his fellow politicians--at one time many of them were his allies--thought he was becoming too powerful so they killed him. There was a large group of Nazi's that were plotting to assassinate Hitler during his reign of terror (they were all executed, but hey...)

Just because this guy has all this power doesn't mean that everyone that serves him does it because they want to. Someone on the inside might know his weaknesses. A mistress, priest, physician, bodyguard, advisor etc.

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Since it seems like he's physically very powerful, here is an alternative:

You could make him paranoid about the people closest to him. He thinks that someone in his family or one of his friends is plotting to take his power. This paranoia takes hold of him and affects his mental well-being. The weakening of his mental health then makes it easier for others to defeat him.

5. S-wo

S-wo Active Member

I thank you all for your replies I will consider the options here and make my choice. I don't think it will affect my story too heavily though. I would probably just need to add maybe a hundred words to smooth it out.

6. Anders Backlund

Anders Backlund New Member

Or the source of his powers, if there is one.