1. ITBA01

ITBA01 Active Member

Help with learning disabilities

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by ITBA01, Jun 1, 2018.

In the story I've been working on, the secondary protagonist suffers from a learning disability. I decided to do this as I have siblings who have such troubles, and I'm happy with the work I've come up with so far. The problem I've run into is that magic plays a large role in the story I've written. The magic essentially works by manipulating energy to produce changes in reality. Because of this, I'm wondering if it makes any sense to have a character with a learning disability, when it's possible it could be fixed with magic. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on this, I'd love to hear them.

2. Dragon Turtle

Dragon Turtle Deadlier Jerry

What exactly are the limits on magic in this story? If it can change literally anything, that makes me think your stakes would be chronically low. In other words, anything bad could be fixed, so there's no need to fear anything bad. I know that's not what you're asking for advice on, but I saw it as a red flag.

If magic can't change just anything, couldn't you make brains and/or bodies one of the things it can't change?

Alan Aspie likes this.
  3. ITBA01

ITBA01 Active Member

I haven't worked out everything on that end, but basically magic is limited by the energy in your body. Just like it takes more energy to move a heavy boulder, it takes more energy to do major things with magic.

4. CraigIan

CraigIan New Member

It depends on the disability, if its something that the character is comfortable with why would they try to change it? And if they've had it all there life could they imagine life without it?
    I'd imagine with magic you'd have to know what you want to manipulate the reality and if the character can't imagine themselves without it then manipulating reality/themselves could become hard for them.
    I hope that makes sense.

Alan Aspie and Dragon Turtle like this.
  5. Maggie May

Maggie May Active Member

My son has a learning disability, if he could use magic to "fix" it he would. Once they realize that they are different they want to be like everyone else. It could be for that moment using magic that the person is "normal". But they don't stay normal they go back to the disability and knowing that they are different.

6. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

What kind?

1. Does not learn?
    2. Could learn but difficulties in reading/writing?
    3. Bumpy talent profile?
    4. Could learn but can't cope social environment?
    5. Personality trait connected drawbacks?

The type of disability is connected to skills, emotions, social position and it's chances, motivational base...

Changes in what reality?
    - Social?
    - Cognitive?
    - Personality?
    - Health?
    - Physical?

There must be a gap or ten between magic and human abilities. Otherwise there is no story. "We magic everything. The end." Find or invent that gap and you have your story.