Tags:
  1. ketanco

ketanco Member

help with my book name

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by ketanco, May 3, 2017.

Hello,

Not sure which category to post in but I hope it is right...
    I am writing a book about a certain group of product. It is a group of some electronics products. lets call it xyz.

I know English well but I am not a native speaker. I need help with my book's name.

It is a general book that talks about many aspects of xyz, explaining terms and concepts with graphs or photos as necessary, different categories of that product, sometimes including photos form relevant firms from each category, has a list of related firms, and things like that.

What could be a good name for that kind of book?

Things I have in mind are:

xyz book 2017
    xyz reference manual
    complete guide to xyzs
    xyz guide

which of these you like most?

or what else ?

I am open to ideas.

2. Elven Candy

Elven Candy Pay no attention to the foot in my mouth Contributor

For the sake of answering you, I'm going to replace "xyz" with "television."

xyz book 2017: "Televisions book 2017." We already know it's a book, so it sounds redundant to have it in the title. What does this title tell me about the book? Is it a book that tells which television is best to buy in 2017? Is it a book about how they work? Is it a general reference guide on how to operate them? This title tells me nothing.

xyz reference manual: "Television reference manual." I don't use a lot of reference manuals, but this looks like something I'd use if I wanted to fix a television or maybe to pick out a new one.

complete guide to xyzs: "Complete guide to Televisions." This looks like a general guide everything televisions. Everything from choosing one to how they work to how to hook them up. From what I understand about your book, this is the best title, though the reference manual might work as well.

xyz guide: "Television guide." Okay, so television isn't the best option for this one, as a TV guide is what tells us what show comes on next. For this example I'll use Computer. Computer guide sounds like a book on how to fix computers, which I don't think is what your book's about. Depending on the particular electronic you're book's about, this title probably doesn't give enough information.

You might consider a subtitle as well; they go very well with how-to guides and the like.

Example: The Complete Guide to Televisions: everything from how they started to troubleshooting problems.

Komposten likes this.
  3. ketanco

ketanco Member

thanks very much

and what do you think about the following comparison:

complete guide to xyz
    ultimate xyz guide

4. Mayarra

Mayarra Banned

anything with 'ultimate' would be a no-go to me, as it sounds rather cheesy.

'The complete guide to xyzs" could be a good one, if your book will also be a complete guide from the early beginning to the possibilities we have now.