1. Meteor

Meteor Active Member

Famous Places in Writing?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Meteor, Dec 31, 2014.

Hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to examine this thread. I can't get a straight answer out of anything. Search engines, books I've looked into and so forth. I want to know if you can legally include famous places in your writing or novels you're trying to publish. Places like say Stonehenge, the Empire state building or, Yellowstone National park. I know many of these places are public but, I'd rather find a straight answer than use one of them and get kicked for it later. Just being careful. Thank you for any insight or answers into this, they're most appreciated. :)

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Yes, you can include them.

Meteor likes this.
  3. Meteor

Meteor Active Member

Awesome! Thanks for the reply :)

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Of course you can! You aren't taking anyone's copyrighted idea by doing that. I've relied heavily on my experiences around the world in my novel, though because it's on another planet I didn't need to use the actual locations. Yellowstone and Iceland come in handy.

5. Meteor

Meteor Active Member

Ah its really nice info to know. I was so nervous that I couldn't use real life places that it was stopping me from writing. Now that I know I can proceed. Thanks a bunch guys! Now for that contest.

6. SwampDog

SwampDog Senior Member

Very little would be written, composed, filmed, if locations were avoided. Where would Dan Brown be without the Louvre, or a Bond film without the SIS (MI6) building, or Daphne du Maurier's Jamaica Inn (on Bodmin Moor), or Agatha Christie without the Orient Express?

Meteor likes this.