1. Neva Borne

Neva Borne New Member

Help with subplot for character?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Neva Borne, Jan 27, 2017.

I'm writing a sci-fi-esque story set in the near future, and I need some creative and "smart" ways for a very intelligent girl to cause trouble/express her opinions in a somewhat illegal fashion. She's the daughter of a genius scientist and there's a military base not far away. (both relevant to the plot)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. IHaveNoName

IHaveNoName Senior Member Community Volunteer

Hehehe. Some ideas immediately come to mind:

* Robots (assuming she's a tinkerer). Drones too.
    * Lab experiments (as in, creating something mildy nasty in a lab and spreading it around).
    * Really hard to remove graffiti (some kind of paint that's impossible to remove, or shines through paint that's placed over it).

3. nataku

nataku Member

How about blatant disregard for the laws of physics, nature etc? As in doesn't care if it's proven wrong will still do the experiment.
    Smart mouthed with comments that would go over the other characters heads most of the time?
    Experiments is a good one. How about creative ways of home alone esque traps and such?

My character Max can cause a fourth world war with the contents of a kitchen cabinet and some office supplies. Hehe I still love the beautiful soda pop gun my ffn friend used in her fanfic. Soda bottle with contents add ball barings and fizzy mints and aim. Soldiers gonna have headaches bruises and other painful experiences galore LOL

My Character Fei loves a good creative vocabulary. Creative insults are fun especially if they come from him or Rahim who can insult people to where they know it's an insult, but don't get what just got said beyond it's an insult.

Example by Rahim: When your IQ reaches 50 please fold.

4. LachlanMM

LachlanMM New Member

How much is "somewhat"? At the low end of the scale, there's graffiti, parking violations, moving violations -- oh, hey, dress code violations! There's a hundred social norms around clothing and personal appearance that can be flouted or pushed.

5. G.A. Kainne

G.A. Kainne Member

If she is very intelligent then you may want to contemplate the possibility of her having access to military computers and communications via her fathers work and hacking the crap out of people...

P.S. Sorry for the run on sentence.

6. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I would say vandalism. It's easy, cheap, and not very hard to get away with. Cyber vandalism is always fun. I crashed a couple of websites in my time.

A prank to one person, may be highly illegal near a military base. It's not illegal to create a dry ice bomb or smoke bomb (I don't think,) but I'd bet you'd get in trouble tossing one into a military facility.

7. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

If you don`t want to get as far as drones or home along prank traps vandalism and graffiti work great. Graffiti could work rather well into the expressing her opions part if you do a street art/social commentary angel with it.

8. Adam Kalauz

Adam Kalauz Member

How about just plain messing around with the military base?
    Working out their shifts, or rotas, and then using that to confuse the guards?
    Triggering motion sensors, or I really like the idea of using an R/C drone to drop some kind of odd note beside a soldier, telling him not to trust anyone!

Or skipping the base, you've got hacking, fake social media accounts, fake news sites, pirate radio style pod-casts?

Brain dump, hope it helps.