1. FourPointedStar

FourPointedStar Member

Conveying a setting without being contrived

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by FourPointedStar, Jul 24, 2017.

Hello,

I'm pretty knew to seriously writing a novel, and this current attempt is a first person account, based on true events. I am trying to move it to a more Victorian era, as that will enforce some interesting changes to how the events played out. One thing i'm struggling with is conveying the fact that it's that post-industrial era, without being very explicit. any tips? i'm loathe to post an excerpt of what I've got so far, as i'm not happy for anyone to see it in its current state

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Do you mean symbolizing the time period without explicitly saying it?Horses instead of cars would seem to work, though you're going to need to know a lot about the Victorian era to be able to write about it.

birdspoon and Spencer1990 like this.
  3. Spencer1990

Spencer1990 Contributor Contributor

I think the details would do the job. I know next to nothing about the Victorian era, but there are things unique to every time period. Like Mr. Potvin suggested, you need to learn a ton about the era, then apply that knowledge to little details. Make the setting work for you as you would a character. I don't mean give it agency in the story, but make it serve a purpose like a good character would.

4. Dr.Meow

Dr.Meow Contributor Contributor

So are you writing a fiction based on true events, or are you trying to make this as true to the story as possible? When dealing with history, it has to be pretty damn accurate if it's going to be a "true story" especially. That's kinda' why I write fantasy, don't need to worry so much about specific things. When writing pure fiction, it's still hard since things need to be planned out and designed, but you don't need to research too much all the time. When writing something that is historical, you don't need to be as creative nor plan every little thing because a lot of stuff you're going to get from reality, however, you have to spend most of your time researching and checking your facts about every detail. Some people do better with one over the other.

If you have done extensive research on the era, and you know the details of the story this is based on, then you won't have a problem informing your audience of the time period. It will be pretty apparent once you've described people's clothing, housing, social structures, transportation and so on.

5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

You could do worse than read a few books (fiction and nonfiction) set and/or written in the era and general place where you plan to set yours. It will give you some idea of how authors handle setting. However, then don't crib your details from theirs! Or at least not enough of them to be noticeable.

The thing about historical writing is you really do need to do research. Fortunately there is lots of information (pictorial and otherwise) from the Victorian era, so you won't have to dig too deeply. However, be aware that lots of people know something about this era as well, so you can't afford to make any really crazy mistakes either.

Also be aware that each decade was very different from the ones that came before and after it. The thing about an industrial revolution is that settings change ...fast. For example, rail travel in the USA was very different in the 1860s from what it was in the 1880s, etc. And both were very different from rail travel in Britain or the Continent as well. Just like today, new technology changed lives quite quickly. And along with it, fashion changed as well.

6. FourPointedStar

FourPointedStar Member

I think the amount of research required going to be my main issue. I'm planning on writing it, with comments on things that probably need further research; For example, i've referred to a postman colloquially as a red breast.

It's a true, personal, event, and i want to retell it without it being blindingly obvious as to what actually happened, who was involved et cetera. a lot of the real interactions and pivots occured via text, social media and so on, so i am writing them as correspondence or conversations, what ever is more appropriate.

I don't feel it needs to be a historical fiction per se, i just want the general setting to have that feel. I'm not sold on the general consensus as to whether it's considered bad taste to have a non-fantasy setting clearly inspired by a historical setting, while not being explicit.

[fake edit] here's the first few paragraphs, my introduction. does it feel as if the setting is coming together?

_______________________________________________________________________________

My hand quivered as I held the letter I had taken from the redbreast on leaving my apartment. Adam was generally late in arriving, so I thought i’d have enough time to read it before we continued to the bank. As I read the signature, confirming the author that I had already ascertained from the gentle curves of the handwriting, I heard him approach.

‘Good Morning Charles!’ He said as he appeared from the fog, holding his hat in the air to announce his arrival and carrying another book under his arm.​

‘Morning, Adam, I hope you’re well?’ I replied, hiding the bad news like a shameful secret within my jacket, and taking step with him.

‘Very well, I read some extremely melancholy poetry last evening, let me show you;’ He began, taking his book from under his arm and fingering through the pages.

‘Sorry Adam, I don’t th-’​

‘Death found strange beauty on that cherub brow, And dash’d it out. There was a tint of rose On cheek and lip;–he touch’d…’ Adam recited, unaware that I was unable to bring to bear what he was reading.​