1. Davidheart2017

Davidheart2017 Member

Help with writing God/Deity character dialogue

Discussion in 'Dialogue Development' started by Davidheart2017, Aug 10, 2017.

I having trouble with writing dialogue for god characters. To put into context, in my story there is a god who cursed humans into randomly becoming beasts.

My main characters entered his realm in an attempt to kill him and end the curse. Then he begins to explain
    how he is disgusted by humanity's greed and cruelty, stating that turning them into beasts would make them less immoral. One of the main characters decides to give him a speech on how he chooses to accept humanity's evil over beastkind.

The problem here is that. My god character said the most generic things a cliche god would say. It's really difficult because they don't use everyday words. So I am asking how you guys would go about writing dialogue for these kind of characters?

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Why don't they use everyday words? Surely they know the words, and they're trying to communicate with humanity, so why not communicate in the clearest way?

3. Davidheart2017

Davidheart2017 Member

I see. So your saying I should just write him as I would a human character? With no big highfalutin words? Wouldn't that make them less god-like?

4. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Not in my opinion, no. Try thinking of the character not so much as a god, as the high school principal who has absolute authority over you and hopes that you will do better, but who won't feel that bad if you don't and he has to apply maximum consequences. Except the consequences aren't detention so much as the complete dissolution of you and all your family into your component molecules.

Trish and Simpson17866 like this.
  5. Yolo400

Yolo400 New Member

You don't need to worry about the God being pretentious, you just need to worry about being pretentious to your reader.

(topkek)

6. Davidheart2017

Davidheart2017 Member

Oh! That's wonderful insight. I'll be keeping that in remind when I revise that scene. Thanks a lot!

ChickenFreak likes this.
  7. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

You need to think about the very nature of your gods and the extent of their powers and knowledge for this one. Since your gods can be defeated by mortals, it is possible that they are more like very powerful kings. Although I can say that since your god has the same thoughts and emotions as most humans, it stands to reason that your god would also act like humans and communicate in the same manner. Considering what happens, your god would probably have an attitude of an elite looking down on the mundane.

Even if that were not the case, it would still be reasonable to explain that the way your god talks corresponds to his/her audience in order to facilitate effective communication.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  8. Davidheart2017

Davidheart2017 Member

Thinking of him as a human character really does help me connect with him more. Thank you!