Tags:
  1. GirlWriter101

GirlWriter101 Banned

Short Story Help Writing a Dragon vs Elf Battle!?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by GirlWriter101, Jan 7, 2019.

So one of my short stories involves the MCs getting into a large scale battle with a dragon the size of a small hill, (this thing is big). Well I have written battle scenes before I have never had one involving a dragon. I am wondering if anyone has any advice on how to handle a battle against a fire breathing dragon and still get some of the characters out alive.

I know the questions may not be clear, I guess that I am asking: has anyone ever done this before, and if so how was it done?

2. Nariac

Nariac Contributor Contributor

Well, the Hobbit has Bard the Bowman versus Smaug. (The trick is to shoot it in its weak spot and be standing on a city built over a lake, so you can jump in it if you're set on fire.)

3. GirlWriter101

GirlWriter101 Banned

I suppose I should get my copy of The Hobbit out... the problem is that my MCs are in close proximity to the dragon, as in they can hit it with a sword.

4. Bone2pick

Bone2pick Conspicuously Conventional Contributor

How many characters are opposing the dragon? What are their abilities and resources? Does the dragon breathe fire or have some other breath weapon? Where is the battle taking place?

5. GirlWriter101

GirlWriter101 Banned

A clearing in a forest, the elves have the advantage of knowing that area better. There are 7 elves opposing the dragon, 5 of whom are battle trained and 3 of those are pretty experienced, one of the others is a healer. They have picnic things with them, as well as the weapons that they would normally have: Asidin: bow, twin swords, belt knife. Findel: bow, throwing knifes. Ardawn: sword, knives. The 2 guards have a sword and bow each.

6. Nariac

Nariac Contributor Contributor

Maybe they can use the tree trunks as cover. Or try to get the dragon caught up between them. It's probably pretty ungainly on the ground, and it would have to land if it wants to see them to burn them.

Elves are traditionally good shots. Maybe they can try to shoot it in the eyes.

7. Bone2pick

Bone2pick Conspicuously Conventional Contributor

Or impale the dragon with a jagged tree trunk. I like to go for broke. :bigcool:

Cave Troll likes this.
  8. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    In their retreat into a mountain cave, the remaining elves
    felt a thunderous quaking. Those who were near the entrance
    saw the still body of the hulking dragon. It's skull crushed in
    it's leathery hide from the impact with the mountain side.
    :supersmile:

9. Artifacs

Artifacs Senior Member

I assume your Dragon is a D&D conventional type. These creatures are very smart.
    My suggestion for a Dragon Battle:
    Fighting a Dragon requires special equipment. IMO, there's no way a Dragon hunter party can defeated the beast with swords, bows, good aim and hoping for the best. Better put your characters on the run through the forest, and send them back with a wagon full of new equipment and a good plan (a plan which won't work, of course).

Equipment: (War can be clumsy sometimes)

2 huge metal nets: to bring the beast down.
    Minimun 4 big ballast: 2 for the 2 corners of each net. (The other nets corners must be tied up somewhere near the ground)
    4 Campaign Ballistas / Catapults: 2 to shoot de Ballast attached to the corner of one net at one side, and another 2 from the opposite side. (The dragon in between)

The plan that won't work:
    * Hide the Campaign Weapons at each side of the bullseye. The Dragon may escape only going forward or backward.
    * Someone has to distract the Dragon until it's located near the target. That someone has to keep the Dragon from going out the place.
    * Fire the Catapults/Ballistas. (You can also drop the nets from the top of a hill or kill the Dragon just firing spears with the Ballistas.)
    * Bring down the Dragon
    * Finish it.

How to End the Battle::
    Kill the Dragon the other way you thought, now that the Battle has started and the Dragon is not at its best, swords and bows are good.

10. tapioka

tapioka Member

Have you considered reducing the size of the dragon? I mean, the size of a hill means it's like an ant fighting me. I'm not sure there's anything at all the ant could possibly do to defeat me. Even if it poisons me, the poison would have to be deadly almost instantly because it would take me less than a second to kill the ant. ...Or maybe your definition of a small hill just differs vastly from mine :).

I know it's fantasy and the theme of "small being overcomes the toughest possible challenge" is a common one, but scenes like this (huge ancient evil that levels a city in no time suddenly struggles with tiny opposition) have always irritated me. Which doesn't mean you should listen to me, of course ;).

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  11. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Seconded. I know elves are magical and all, but that set of gear in the hands of people would have trouble taking down a bull elephant, let alone an armored reptile the size of a two-story house (to put my interpretation on "small hill").

Tristan's Opa likes this.
  12. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed

13. Tristan's Opa

Tristan's Opa Senior Member

Play it out D&D style and roll the dice. You may not like the outcome but you'll be able to "see the battle". Change it up, see what happens if you do it again.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  14. Tristan's Opa

Dude, that is the answer to strategically weak battles... not to mention crappy writing. :cool: BTW, that movie was so far removed from reality it wasn't funny.

15. Tristan's Opa

Maybe this would work better....

[​IMG]

16. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Just pointing out that you don't need to see the enemy to burn them out, and since the movie was adapted from a tale of a riverboat journey in colonial Africa, we can't really expect it to be a documentary on Vietnam. Morr impressionism than anything else.

17. LoaDyron

LoaDyron Contributor Contributor

Hello, friend. :superhello:

Well, usually elves are agile creatures, deeply connected with magic that lives on the forest. But maybe your elf races aren't like that. I would suggest looking at your elves culture, see their military technology and play with that a little bit. Since the dragon is big, make your MC shoot in places that can make the creature vulnerable, as someone has suggested eyes is a right spot.

Now I will suggest another thing. Maybe your MC doesn't necessarily need to fight the dragon. What I mean is, what is your MC's personality? A thief that doesn't like fighting, doing his/her job on the shadows? A trickster? Or maybe your elves culture worship the dragon?
    I hope this helps. Keep on good work and have fun. :supersmile: