1. Lyon06

Lyon06 Member

Two Inciting Incidents

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Lyon06, May 14, 2020.

A basic summary:
    1. Everyone in this world is connected to a magical being (called Eidolon) when they come of age. The story starts with the MC coming of age and getting nothing.
    2. The MC feels something calling him into the woods, turns out it's the Eidolon he's tied to whose been trapped in a magical prison for centuries because he's evil.

Looking at it, it feels a bit weird to me that I'm setting up the premise that he's without an Eidolon only to give him one later. The thing is that this incident is crucial to his character; he's been told his whole life that he's worthless, no one likes him, no one cares, and not having an Eidolon cement these as fact to him. He'd always held out hope that he'd find some sort of companionship with the Eidolon and instead he's left alone. It's something that the pair will need to work on throughout the story which is why I consider it integral.

I debated whether this should be a prologue of some sort but that doesn't seem right either. I've been struggling on what to do with this for a bit so I appreciate any and all help!

2. Kalisto

Kalisto Senior Member

Do you have any idea on what kind of themes you might be interested in exploring with this premise?

3. TheOtherPromise

TheOtherPromise Senior Member

To me it sounds like the coming of age ceremony is the inciting incident, and when the MC meets his evil eidolon is the first plot point.

Though that might not be an accurate conclusion depending on how your story plays out. From my understanding the inciting incident is when the conflict is introduced and the first plot point is when the protagonist makes a big decisionchoice in response to that inciting incident.

So for your story if the conflict is about how MC doesn't have an eidolon but wants one. Finding out he isn't just going to get one like normal is the inciting incident. Choosing to go into the woods and finding the evil eidolon is the first plot point.
    If the conflict is more about his relationship with the eidolon then meeting it might make more sense as the inciting incident, with the coming of age ceremony acting more as the hook.

4. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

They're not both inciting incidents (as @TOP already said). And I would be careful not to let too much time go by between the incidents. Maybe because he failed to get his eidolon he's propelled into some kind of intensely negative action or situation that's life or death, and he doesn't have the will to live since he thinks he doesn't have his eidolon. Until he discovers it or whatever, and then it's on baby!! Reversal of fortunes.

5. Lyon06

Lyon06 Member

It's definitely more of the latter, the relationship is central to the story, but this does help me with clarifying what the inciting incident should be.
    Perhaps it would be a better idea to start with the meeting (or leading up to it.) Maybe the ceremony is something he has nightmares about or someone brings it up to him later.
    Either way, I'm thankful for your help!