1. Manny

Manny New Member

Introduction or Chapter One?

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction' started by Manny, Jan 1, 2008.

Non fiction instuctional book that is a work in progress.

At the moment, Chapter One is entitled 'Introduction - an overview.' Is this correct as a little nagging voice in my head tells me the Introduction should precede Chapter One and not be a chapter at all?

Also, before Chapter One, I have an 'About the Author' part that basically details a personal history (as it is relevant) and basically details my qualification to write the book by summarising my personal experience blah blah.

So would that line up be correct? 'About the author' followed by Chapter One the Introduction and overview? Or should it be About author, Intro, then Chapter One?

Upon looking at a few books I have, I have seen it done all ways.

Are there rules for this?

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

...that's how it should be arranged... by definition, an 'introduction' can't be 'chapter one'... 'chapter one' should be the first of the chapters that make up the how-to corpus of the book... the introduction is then just the 'set-up' if you will, that tells the reader why you're writing it and provides a preview of what they'll be getting...

...sure, you'll see it all ways, but some of those books may be self-published and therefore not done 'right'...

3. Manny

Manny New Member

Thankyou Maia :D