1. c0sm0kn0t

c0sm0kn0t New Member

Hemingway Editor Worth It?

Discussion in 'Software' started by c0sm0kn0t, Dec 3, 2018.

Hi all,

I recently came across the Hemingway Editor app (http://www.hemingwayapp.com/). It seems handy, but I can't decide if it's really worth $20. Additionally, I'm hesitant to use it for fear that it might subtly change my own writing style. For technical writing, it seems useful, but I can't make up my mind about it for creative writing. Does anyone have experience with it (or another similar app/software)? What are the pros and cons you all have found using these apps? Thanks!

2. Lifeline

Lifeline Into the Cold Supporter Contributor

Just speaking for myself: I wouldn't use it during original writing. In editing though all bets are off. If I already have a product that I consider roughly ready, I might run it through this editor to pick out possible troublesome issues.

3. big soft moose

big soft moose All killer, no filler. Contributor Community Volunteer

I tried the free version once - that was enough

4. Martin Beerbom

Martin Beerbom Active Member

2nd this. I don't think what it does is good for writing – it's editing and proof reading. It's distracting. Write with something else, and when you're finished, load it in there and let it help you to make it better. You have to decide if this is worth it for you. Judging from the examples, I'm not sure it would be worth it for me. It forces a certain writing style, and if you follow it blindly it subdues your own, though it could give some pointers. It might be worthwhile for business document creation and technical writing.

(NB: So far, I have not seen an app yet that is helpful for style or grammar when it comes to creative, artistic writing.)

5. big soft moose

big soft moose All killer, no filler. Contributor Community Volunteer

its also obsessed with silly shit like eliminating adverbs, adjectives and the use of the passive voice ... personally I don't want to eliminate about a third of the words in the English language from by writing, nor do I want soft ware to highlight every instance of 'was' - pro writing aid is the best of editor software i've used and even that threw a lot of false positives

6. c0sm0kn0t

c0sm0kn0t New Member

Thanks for all the feedback! Yeah, I wasn't planning on using it while writing. I have the first draft of my novel done and have gone through and edited it myself. A blog I was reading for tips on snagging a LA suggested running it through Hemingway Editor. I'm in agreement with you all though that it seems like something that would change the writing style of whatever material is fed into it. I'll stick with good, old MS Word and my own little brain!

7. Solar

Solar Contributor Contributor

The human mind is the best editor. Use it.