1. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

RIP Teddy: Pursuit of Happyness

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by madhoca, Jan 14, 2010.

Soooo sad to see that singer Teddy Pendergrass has died. I'll never forget his concerts in London when I was a student 1978-1982.

Apart from his amazing voice, the memorable thing about him was his courage when he rebuilt his life after a car accident that left him in a wheelchair, and the example he set for people finding themselves in similar situations. I love the lyrics of that song he sang, 'Life is a song worth singing'. Seems he had to prove this in such a hard way, but he did.

Got me thinking about other people who have put all their energy into triumphing over problems. Remember that film 'The Pursuit of Happyness', about the guy who never gave up struggling in spite of a string of disasters?

There's Christopher Reeve, also wheelchair-bound, and Isaac Heyes, clawing his way back after bancrupcy. Anyone think of any others?

2. lessa

lessa New Member

Terry Fox who attempted to walk across Canada to raise money and awareness for Cancer research.
    He made it to Thunder Bay which is just west of the town I live in.
    He made such an impact many countries have the Terri Fox Run.
    He did this after his leg was amputated.
    Newfoundland to Ontario no small feat for an athlete

3. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

I've just remembered Simon Weston. He was one of the Welsh Guards aboard the ship 'Sir Galahad' which was bombed and caught fire during the Falklands War.
    He was really badly burned, but he's worked since for many charities, and he raises awareness for veterans of the armed forces who need support. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for him at first to become a public speaker and go on TV with a terribly disfigured face.