Tags:
  1. Neko Rose

Neko Rose New Member

Hey All :3

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Neko Rose, Jul 10, 2020.

Hey All! I am a 21 year old female and I decided to join this board b/c I am really into writing again and would like to see how I can improve my stories or how to better my writing. Besides writing as a hobby, I love information security, long-term goal of being a Pen-Tester, but that's a roads away so til them is training and continuing to practice my writing. Hopefully I learn a lot from these forums. :D

Cdn Writer and jim onion like this.
  2. Kyle Phoenix

Kyle Phoenix Active Member

Welcome to the forums Rose! I hope you have a great time here and get out of it what you are looking for. There is always lots to learn :)

Cdn Writer, Neko Rose and jim onion like this.
  3. jim onion

jim onion New Member

What's up! I hope you like it here.

Be sure to read the FAQs if you have any questions about the requirements to post your work. I noticed the post you made on another thread, and I'd like to answer your question:

The reason why you need to first make two critiques each time you want to share your own work, is so that a culture of reciprocity is established in the community. We'd all like to just post our own work and have everyone else give us all the attention, but if we all acted that way, then exactly zero people would get zero attention.

Also, it's important to understand that looking at the works of others and pointing out things is, strangely enough, a great way to be a better writer. It helps you train your eye when picking apart your own work.

It's difficult at first if you're a very inexperienced writer or whatever, but it won't take long to get the hang of it. Even if you aren't too confident about the feedback you're giving, the intention to help counts too.

A family member of mine went to school for IT, and now helps some big companies keep their networks secure. Not sure if that's necessarily the same thing as information security, but it's pretty cool. Unfortunately, not quite as cool as Hollywood makes it seem.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    Cdn Writer and Neko Rose like this.
  4. LitWhispers

LitWhispers Member

Welcome to the forum! Hope you have a fun here.
    I'd just like to say, your profile picture (WataMote, right?) is a whole mood.

5. Steve Rivers

Steve Rivers Contributor Contributor

You had me at the purple font, Neko. :D

Welcome to the forums!

Cdn Writer, Neko Rose and LitWhispers like this.
  6. Neko Rose

Neko Rose New Member

Thanks for the reply! I'll try to find other's stories that I could try to give my critique, though from what I saw most of them are very talented.

That is the same as Information security, it can be called cyber security too, and yea, Hollywood make it like mash on keyboard and magic happens o.0 but in reality its a lot of thinking, and a lot of dead ends you have to maneuver around and for networks, a lot of planning goes into it to make it all work together whilst keeping administrative things separate from the regular network. Definitely don't want payroll to be accessible by any employee :eek:

Thanks, yea WataMote, the character is Tomoko Kuroki

Cdn Writer and jim onion like this.
  7. BearOfTheNorth

BearOfTheNorth Member

Hi Neko Rose, welcome. It's awesome to have you here and I'm looking forward to reading what you share with us. What kind of things do you like to write about? :D

Cdn Writer likes this.
  8. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    Welcome!

I suspect some of us (me for one) will shoot you a question or two or three about the computer stuff. Hopefully it won't get overwhelming but I'll be the first to admit having someone around who actually *knows* what's what in that field will help us avoid some pitfalls in our writing.

^^^Why not? I'd love to reverse the pay structure! Let's pay the staff a living wage and give the CEO a regular salary! I think the last statistic I heard/saw was that the CEO made 287 times as much as the lowest paid employee.....I'm sorry but that's nuts....

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/6/26/18744304/ceo-pay-ratio-disclosure-2018