Tags:
  1. Scavenger

Scavenger New Member

Hola

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Scavenger, Aug 4, 2007.

Hi everyone,

I'm Rachel. I'm going to attempt to make this work, as I have a horrible track record with forums and my ability to stay active, but they're a really good source of creativity as well as feedback, and I always enjoy them, so I thought I'd give it one more go.

I've been writing seriously for about six years now, mostly short stories. So far, any attempts I've made at a full-length novel have failed, but I'm currently in the process of designing/planning/rough-drafting one that I've had in my head for over a year now and really like.

I'm a very detail-oriented writer, and pride myself on my imagery and descriptions. I also really appreciate fluency in both writing and plot, and strive towards that more than anything. I'm currently starting a class (I'm about to enter my senior year of high school) to focus entirely on characterization, both my own and that of famous, more modern, authors, in hopes that I will improve that as well.

For a long time I wrote nothing but fanfiction (Harry Potter), but am now entirely original with my writing - though if I'm honest, I get a lot of influence from JKR's characters. In general, I actually have a fairly low opinion of fanfiction - most of it is pretty sub-standard, but there are some authors out there that redeem the genre completely in my eyes, and that makes it worth it.

I'm not sure what else I should be talking about in here....I do a lot of photography, have three jobs plus school, ride horses, and live in Colorado, so I get to snowboard in some of the best snow in the world during the winter. I love to review writing, and have been told I'm crazy honest (to the point of brutality) when giving my criticism, so...if anyone wants that, feel free to ask. Once I graduate from college, I'm hoping to edit books for a living, so it'll be good practice for me.

Talk to you all later,

Scavenger

2. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

Though I've yet to see it, I think your writing may be similar to mine. All just speculations of course. Anyway, welcome to our humble little abode, it really is one of the best forums on the web -- so I'll expect you to stay active. :)

Misc. Information:
    In the 'General Writing' section, there are some helpful links in a stickied thread. Though I just gave the link right there.

When you post a thread, you have to reformat your paragraphs. Also, before posting in 'The Review Room' section, you need at least 2 credits. This equates to reviewing two works (more people get reviews, less people just coming and going).

There is a contest that needs voting on, so go have a look at all of that. We also have smaller, weekly contests for short stories and poetry as well.

adamant

3. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Welcome to the forums! It looks like adamant has already handled the formal stuff, so I'll just say that I hope you enjoy the place, and find the resources here useful to your writing. If you need any help with anything, please feel free to ask. I'm always happy to help :)

4. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Welcome Scavy :) Adamant has very well introduced the forums to you, and just an add-on could be that you may want to chill out in Lounge if you want to. We can help you whenever you need any, just send in a PM to one of the mods or anyone online. We're sure to guide.

Don't worry, we like brutal reviews, as long as they do not get personal. We hope this forum keeps you attached to us, and you make the most of it as well as us.

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Rachel, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

If you haven't explored the site yet, You should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

6. Raven

Raven Banned

Welcome to writing Forums. I certainly hope you stick around

~Raven.