1. GLaw

GLaw New Member

Nervous Newbie

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GLaw, Aug 25, 2016.

Hi everyone, I'm GLaw. I used to post creative writing online a few years ago in my early teens, but sadly grew out of the habit. I'm 17 now and have started to tentatively write again, plotting an outline (my favourite part of writing) for a story I want to tell, but I'm a little rusty and I miss having a friendly community of constructive critiquers and other writer folk to bounce off. My natural genre appears to be contemporary (which is the genre of my current idea) but I've always wanted to write an urban fantasy; I'm not confident enough to challenge myself just yet, though.
    Anyway, I get really scared creating new threads so any replies to this would help me feel infinitely less stupid haha, cheers :)

Crybaby, zoupskim and cydney like this.
  2. 7XshadowolfX7

7XshadowolfX7 Member

Hey man!
    I'm new here too. WELCOME. A writing forum is a first for me, but I'm liking it. So the story your writing, what's it about?

zoupskim and cydney like this.
  3. cydney

cydney Banned

Hi G (& 7X). I'm new & nervous too. Welcome!

zoupskim likes this.
  4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Hi, @GLaw, and welcome to the forum! Please read our New Member Quick Start - it'll get you started around here. Participate and have fun! :)

zoupskim likes this.
  5. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

Welcome to the forum! Tons of great people here to teach you!

6. Brindy

Brindy Senior Member

Welcome Newbies, I was a nervy newbie too not so long ago. I lurked, read but didn't let anyone know. Then I took the plunge and replied to a post. No nuclear explosions happened, so I started a new thread. Still, the world didn't implode. Then the biggy. I needed to post a critique. I read items posted for critique and read what others had replied with and realised that I'd had the same thoughts. So, I found a new item and left a critique - and got thanks for my comments.

Then I started reading the contest entries and realised there are lots of people on here who are really worth reading, and learning from. I even started voting for my favourite. I was lucky to have joined before the 10th Anniversary Contest started, so now it was time for the final hurdle - I decided to enter the contest. OMG, I had so much fun. Being part of the contest was so much better than just observing from the sidelines, and reading how others had interpreted the 'theme' was mind blowing. So much variety, (if you haven't had a read through, I would seriously recommend that you do.)

So, in 6 months I have gone from a nervous newbie to a fully-involved member, and this is now the site I start with when I turn my laptop on each day.

So, look around, step in and enjoy. Ask questions, leave comments and have fun. That's what it's all about.

Crybaby likes this.