1. LostArtist

LostArtist Member

Hi I'm Becoming un-lost

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LostArtist, Aug 30, 2020.

Hello Everyone.
    I Haven't been a writer forever but I have always Imagined vivid worlds Have tried dreaming them into existence. Drawing and painting characters tangled in epic storylines in ferocious battles spanning worlds and sometimes beyond the universe.
    Going to University studying Film production hoping one day to get a chance to make at least one into something real, gradually finding that getting to a place where you are really free to create your artistic vision, is an incredibly rare if not impossible reality.
    As a person that suffers from dyslexia, when it comes to the writing world, I feel like I don't have a leg to stand on. When looking up tips on writing I found some content providers that really inspired me to just start doing it.
    So I am here. hoping to: meet other writers to help me improve, make some friends, receive helpful and friendly criticism, involve myself in communities, team up with other writers, generate buzz for my work.
    Aware that it is a stupidly long road.
    But I am on the path and determined.
    Hello, everyone,
    I am the LostArtist

Kyle Phoenix and Steve Rivers like this.
  2. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

As a person who wanted to be a writer for the reasons you did, went to college too early in pursuance of that dream, failed out after five years that I shouldn't talk about, joined the military and got out after another five years only to reenter the same major, and finally just about finish said major.........I understand your long road. We'll get there.

This is certainly a good place to start.

And by the way, Welcome!

3. LostArtist

LostArtist Member

It is an easy route to slip into when you have a desire to be creative, isn't it? It seems a lot of avenues that open up only seem to push you to do something that actively tries to grind that passion away. I never did anything as testing as being the military, but I worked in a kitchen with lots of other creatives that worked there as there was nothing else to do, and have strict high stress working environments seem to be the only option for some people. and the thought of 'I would rather die than spend another day where I can not create and do something with passion' conquers every fiber of your being.
    I am glad to meet you too!
    Thank you for your welcome

4. Freshpage

Freshpage Member

Welcome!
    I think in this day and age with all the handy word programs we have available, dyslexia shouldnt be a problem at all.
    One of my friends indie published her first fantasy novel last year and its been doing really well. Its possible :)

I only just started on this forum as well but so far everyone has been very friendly and i feel ive already learned a lot.

5. LostArtist

LostArtist Member

I grew up when Dyslexia was less heard of, and I have always felt less capable than others. Also, unfortunately, met a few people in my time that are a bit snooty about reading, "I have read more books than you" and "If you can't spell, how are you ever going to be good enough to write"
    Yet I have also heard people talk of famous writers, books on audio and I am using spell check software)
    Thanks for your welcome FreshPage. sorry I might have accidentally put my introduction on your thread.
    Nice to meet you though.
    LostArtist

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  6. Freshpage

Freshpage Member

No worries!
    Also; while i was suffering from an injury i actually wrote the outline of a book through an audio program once. I used Dragon. If youre worried about your spelling, that might help too? Who knows.
    Have fun here! Im sure you will

7. Steve Rivers

Steve Rivers Contributor Contributor

The literary world is much like the art world in that regard, you just have to push past the elitist, pedantic snobs, and ignore them as best you can. Words on a page can be aided/corrected, a truly good, inspiring story is far harder to come by and more rewarding to the people that actually enjoy reading.

Those are the folks you want to write for. And I'm glad you're trying to do that Lost.
    Welcome to the forums! :)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  8. LostArtist

LostArtist Member

That's cool you got an outline. I am in the world-building phase, with a rough outline and a rough couple of chapters. I feel like I need to slow down and work on things a little bit at a time. instead of trying to do everything at once
    Thanks for suggestion, but as I am a new member I am a little worried about talking about specific programs. I don't want to seem like I am advertising or anything.
    LostArtist

Freshpage likes this.
  9. LostArtist

LostArtist Member

Thanks for the welcome Steve Rivers.
    It seems that authors have a better percentage of creative freedom. Working in films, you have to satisfy/share your creative vision with, Producers, Actors, Boards of production companies, directors, fads and trends, audiences.
    sure there is some version of these in other walks of life. and yeah LA seems to be the only place to have a shed of a chance to make something made, but it is more like a bloodbath (Red wedding style) of creative backstabbing.
    Best of luck with that :/
    Thanks for saying Hi and Liking my comments and status update by the way.
    It's nice to meet you!
    LostArtist

10. Freshpage

Freshpage Member

I used it for a previous project: i wrote an information book about the use of natural remedies for horses. :) in a time that i couldnt write or type a word without lots of long term pain.

My current WIP though id wish i had a good outline already! Im writing an epic fantasy and ive got some ideas worked out but im still in the worldbuilding and plotting phase. :) exciting times (and frustrating sometimes!)

11. LostArtist

LostArtist Member

Well, fantasy is my thing. If you want, I would like to work with you on your's with suggestions questions crit, etc you can help me with mine in the same way. No pressure! But always consider me if you want an opinion or a thought buddy

12. Kyle Phoenix

Kyle Phoenix Active Member

Welcome to the forums LostArtist and best of luck with your writing. If you are having fun, you are doing just fine. ;)

13. LostArtist

LostArtist Member

Thanks Kyle. That's really nice of you. also wish you luck on your projects too :)

Kyle Phoenix likes this.