Tags:
  1. mihaiwords

mihaiwords New Member

Hello, Writing Forums!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mihaiwords, Apr 17, 2019.

Hello everyone,

I am a writer from Romania, looking to join a nice and helpful community, in order to gather input and also offer help. My portfolio consists of two published novels, one published short story and numerous articles, guest blog posts, and other random stuff across the internet. I do not have a personal blog, only a simple presentation website, still in the works.

I am currently working on my third novel, a mystery story about a young woman, located in Westhampton Beach, but we'll get to more details later on...

I mostly write in my native language (especially large works), but I have no problem in expressing myself in English, so feel free to reach out to me.

Really glad to be here, hope it's going to be a great experience!

Kind regards,
    M

Alan Aspie and Some Guy like this.
  2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

You are obviously another impressive individual who is fluent in more than one language. I am ashamed to admit I'm only fluent in one, and that's English. But there are many forum members here, who come from many different countries, and who are not native English speakers—but whose grasp of English puts many of us 'natives' to shame.

And you are already published. Fantastic. I'm sure you've got a lot to offer the forum. I see your favourite genre is Mystery. I also see you love Stephen King. Oddly enough, I'm right in the middle of reading his book On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, and it's a gem.

By Mystery, are you writing Police Procedurals, or something more like Agatha Christie or other traditional mystery writers, where the mystery is usually solved by a lay person? Here in Scotland just now, Crime is probably the most popular genre right now, and I suppose these can usually be called Mystery as well as Crime. I'd love to hear more about what you are writing about.

Your mention of Westhampton Beach leads me to believe your latest story is set in England? Well, there are LOTS of people here from England and the rest of the UK, so I'm sure if you have some research related questions, there will be folks who can help you out. I'm probably not going to be a lot of help, as I live in Scotland and was originally from the USA. I'm good at mixing up spellings, but that's not necessarily a skill in demand. :)

Anyway, if you haven't already done it, I'd recommend reading the New Member Guide before you dive in. To do that, just open up the Information tab at the top of the Community page, and scroll down to New Member Guide. You can explore other bits of information as well. Getting familiar with our forum rules, under the Rules section (also under Information) is a very good idea.

I'm not sure if we have other members from Romania, but at least now we've got one! Hope you enjoy yourself here. Just explore around, make comments when you want to, and get to know people. And have fun.

Alan Aspie likes this.
  3. mihaiwords

mihaiwords New Member

Hey,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Regarding the latest book, it is in Westhampton Beach, New York. Regarding the style, it's violent mystery, descriptive and blunt, with little dialogue or procedural stuff involved. Action-wise, I would say it's a pretty catchy way to go.

Oh, and also, did I mention I am a Goodreads Author? *insert brag post here*

M

Oscar Leigh and jannert like this.
  4. jannert

Do you have some kind of amateur detective, or just ordinary people who are trying to solve the mystery? Or a police detective/team? Or is it up to the reader to figure out what's happening?

A Goodreads Author? I'm not really too familiar with Goodreads, but I think some others here on the forum participate. Does this mean your book is listed there?

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  5. mihaiwords

mihaiwords New Member

A part of them, yes. Anyone who is published can apply, and it's an amazing website for reading fans.

In regards to the writing, the reader knows from the start who the killer / antagonist is, the plot thickens around the way this is shown to the main character, and the battle within. Think of Nicholas Refn's movie, Drive. That's pretty much the spirit.

6. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

Welcome, mihaiwords!

Published and Romania makes you immediately interesting.

I'd like to hear anything about literary world (books, authors, genres...) of Romania. (I don't know have I ever read other Romania writers than Richard Wurmbrand. Tips are welcome.)

7. jannert

I quite like this approach myself. I generally have no interest in 'figuring out' who the killer is. I'd much rather watch how other people handle the situation. I also think this is a more honestly-written type of story. There is no attempt to fool the reader or keep them guessing. It's not a puzzle. It's a story.

8. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Neata Mihai!

(wasn't there a famous Romanian poet called Mihai?

The ex lady-Hammer is from a little village called (weirdly, as it is the one thing that most people know about the country) Vlad Tepes near Calarasi.

I love your country, first visited in 1976, last visited in 2015. A few things have changed. Next visit will hopefully be 2019 or 2020

a warm welcome to the forum from me!

jannert, Oscar Leigh and Alan Aspie like this.
  9. mihaiwords

mihaiwords New Member

@Alan: We have various types of writers, poets and screenplay writers, the most known are Marin Preda, Ion Creanga, Mihail Sadoveanu and Liviu Rebreanu.

@Hammer: Indeed there was, his name was Mihai Eminescu and he is widely regarded as our national poet and the best there ever was. He wrote thousand of poems, some of them untranslatable, as the Romanian vocabulary has over 120.000 words.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  10. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

That'll be the boy. There's a bust of him in a park in the middle of Bucharest.

Of all forms of literary expression, I believe poetry is the one which most defies translation. The subtleties and nuances would simply be lost. And Romanian is not an easy language!

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  11. Partridge

Partridge Senior Member

Welcome! You'll find this a really helpful place, I think. Can we have a link to your book? I'd like to see it.

12. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

mihaiwords and Alan Aspie like this.
  13. mihaiwords

mihaiwords New Member