1. Aile

Aile New Member

Hey :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Aile, Mar 2, 2021.

Of course I did what a nervous newcomer would do - write two rambling critiques first, then introduce themselves.

Oh well! Hello to anyone who reads this, I'm excited to be here :) A beginner when it comes to writing, I will likely be doing lots of mistakes, in fact just thinking about it makes me nervous already. In real life, I'm taking my first ever writing course, so I thought it would be a good idea to get straight into the business and join a writing forum. Apart from that, hm... I have a degree in business administration (almost an MBA, haven't completed the thesis though), currently quite busy with family life and our cat. Although I adore fantasy and science fiction, right now I'm a little all over the genres. I'm also a gamer, this is a big part of my identity and I wish I had more time for it.

Reading other works and giving feedback is something that I find both inspiring and helpful to my own writing, so hopefully I can contribute with something useful there. Maybe at some point I manage to gather some courage to post something of my own, too.

You seem to have a wonderful community here, a lot of useful resources, many active members and also a good atmosphere (from what I've seen anyway). I can only say great job whoever set it up and to the people who keep it running.

Well, that's all I can think of now. Our cat just came in from outside and has a message to you as well:

ddddgv

Lifeline, Teladan and EFMingo like this.
  2. Teladan

Teladan Contributor Contributor

Not sure why no one has given you a message, Aile. I see from your post history that you've already made some great contributions to the forum. I think you've a nice attitude and you'll fit in well. Tell us how the writing course goes. I've never taken one myself, but that's probably because I can't bear the idea of sitting in a room with other people! In all seriousness, I wonder what kinds of things they teach. Hopefully not stock writing advice? I'm sure you'll be able to tell your instructor a thing or two.

I remember stumbling onto this forum one day in 2017. Time just flies by here. I'm not always active, but kind people like you, who are willing to put in the effort, remind me why it's a great community.

Tell your cat I said cccge.

3. Aile

Aile New Member

Thank you for the kind words!

The writing classes are actually given at distance right now, which is great. We read lots, we do weekly analyzes and writing exercises, and then we give feedback on 2 other submissions weekly. The participants have very different experiences but I think it works well, at least for me (and has a potential to create all sorts of hilarious situations where two people completely talk past each other haha).

I'm taking two classes in fact, one is more basic stuff, the other focuses on creating story worlds. The first one uses Burroway's book Imaginary Writing, which I guess is sort of a Bible on writing to some people (or?). The advice is solid and easy to adapt to, it's useful no matter what you write really. The other class is perhaps more sci-fi and fantasy oriented, we read Words Are My Matter by Le Guin and Jeff VanDermeer's Wonderbook.