1. Scarab

Scarab New Member

Hi all, virgin writer here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Scarab, Jun 23, 2016.

Hi all, I've joined these forums to learn and improve on my writing skills as well as on my use of the English language ( first language Afrikaans). My goal is to ultimately write a complete novel since I only live once. Any advice and language correction will be greatly appreciated.

bonijean2 likes this.
  2. I.A. By the Barn

I.A. By the Barn A very lost time traveller Contributor

Hya, do you have a novel idea currently, or just have the general wish to write? I hope you learn lots here and have fun!

3. KPMay

KPMay Member

Welcome! Pop your writing cherry! ;) What are you most interested in writing about?

4. Scarab

Scarab New Member

Hi I.A. By the Barn and KPMay. I have an idea for a novel, it's a blend of horror and sci-fi with some existential and moral questioning. A lot of the content is inspired by the turmoil in my country and what is currently happening in other countries. I've been playing with the idea for the novel for a few years and did start writing it a couple of years ago. I ended up deleting that draft as I felt that the content was too much to bare for any sane mind. However now I have restarted writing it as I feel that I should not censor myself and the subject matter which concerns me. A lot of the content is quite sensitive and could even be considered dangerous to write about, however I feel it is important to create a discussion and raise awareness about these dangers. It somewhat feels like a burning sensation in my soul to write about it, an obligation of some sorts, therapeutical for myself to put it to pen.

5. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

Welcome to the Forum,

I advise you read a lot and learn as much as you can. Scour past posts for topics you feel you are weak on, and ask honest questions!

6. FireWater

FireWater Senior Member

Welcome! Kudos to you for following your goal. :)

7. Terrie000

Terrie000 Member

Welcome... I also want to try to start my first novel as well... very ambitious idea, but not sure if I will ever going to finish it... Started back in Nov 2015. Stopped Feb 2016. Recently finally find some time to resume in June. I think one of the biggest challenges I face right now is reading my own crap... it looks so bad and the words aren't as descriptive, it is not funny... boring... and not creative enough. Right there I already bashed my own story before I even bring it up for anyone to critique here... urg... will have to proofread many times again, hate doing that... -_-