1. BC Barry

BC Barry Member

Hello. Starting Part Two of my life.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BC Barry, Jun 28, 2016.

Hello to everyone.

I'm recently disabled and really have not liked the feeling of uselessness that was quickly growing. Luckily, I finally realized this was the perfect time to finally give my all to my life-long dream. I've always wanted to write, and have started many, many books over the past decades. Sadly enough, I also always let life and its crazy demands interfere with fulfilling that dream.

Not now. Now I'm determined to become a successful author. And it may just happen. However, my definition of success doesn't necessarily include selling a ton of books and becoming a millionaire. Of course, I probably wouldn't run away from that if it happened. Yeah, actually, I'd be dancing for joy.

Mainly, my definition of success is to have all the stories swimming around in my brain finally laid out and worded up as they're dying to be. I would love to make those lives as perfectly described as possible, turn that into an interesting story, and publish the best product I am capable of. If they sell, great. If not, I'll still take pride in my accomplishment.

This month I self-published my first short story as a kindle book, and am now at page 200 of my second attempt. And I'll tell you one thing I know for sure, that feeling of uselessness is history. I finally feel like my most wished-upon star is drifting to earth to gently land in my cupped hands. Okay, that might be a little over the top, but you get the picture.

I look forward to chatting with everyone in this forum and learning from you as much as I can while I grope my way through this process. Thanks for reading!

2. A man called Valance

A man called Valance Senior Member

Welcome BC Barry. You've picked a good place to unleash all that creativity.

Oscar Leigh and BC Barry like this.
  3. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Making lemonade out of lemons - nice work!

4. Raven484

Raven484 Contributor Contributor

Welcome BC Barry, looking forward to seeing some of your work.

5. BC Barry

BC Barry Member

Thank you, Everyone. I may already be a little bit addicted to this forum. oops! lol

Oscar Leigh and Brindy like this.
  6. Fernando.C

Fernando.C Contributor Contributor

Hey there @BC Barry, welcome to the forum :)

And congrats on self-publishing your first short story, that's awesome!
    This forum's a great place to hone your skills as a writer while at the same time helping your fellow writers and contributing to their writing journey - which in itself is a great learning process.
    Anyway good luck with your WIP and overall writing journey. Looking forward to check out some of your work :)

7. BC Barry

BC Barry Member

Thank y0u! It's exciting. I've spent most of the day browsing the forums and learning what I can. I'm currently stuck between two major events in my current story and reading the thoughts and advice on here is already helping.

Thanks again!

Oscar Leigh and Fernando.C like this.
  8. Terrie000

Terrie000 Member

Hey Barry, nice intro and thanks for all the background stories. I'm glad you find a new meaning in life after hitting probably the biggest obstacle in your life. It is so positive to view this unfortunate disabled event an opportunity for you to finally make your writing dream comes true - that now you can devote all your times without other distractions and temptations (I admit it's hard to sit down and write while I can do so many other things).

I'm a new guy here, level 1 beginner, clueless what writing a book is all about, and English isn't even my first language... feel like I'm back to being a first grader again in this forum.

BC Barry and Oscar Leigh like this.
  9. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. I wish you all the best in your writing journey!

10. BC Barry

BC Barry Member

Thank you and welcome to you! Looks like we'll be learning the ropes together. :)
    Thank you!

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  11. BC Barry

BC Barry Member

I don't know why the two of those replies were put together. I must have hit the wrong something somewhere. Sorry about that. :)

12. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Welcome to the madhouse!:D
    Sorry I didn't get you earlier! I noticed you and it said "member" and I thought, " he must just have come back after a break like those normal people who aren't dependent on this site to live sometimes do".
    Lotsa' kitties here. And bears. (You gotta watch out for those bears. It's a conspiracy)
    Here's your lovely member's uniform so you can wear that addiction with pride;
    Straightjacket for WritingForums.jpg
    And have these links in case you need them;
    https://www.writingforums.org/faq/.
    https://www.writingforums.org/rules/.
    Have a beautiful day! :blowkiss: Oscar out!:brb:

bonijean2 likes this.
  13. BC Barry

BC Barry Member

Thank you for the welcome!! And the uniform.....it matches my style perfectly!

The kitty is Maddy, the end all be all of the short story I wrote and published. She was our beautiful, growley, old, lady cat who graced us with her presence and allowed us the great honor of ruling over our existence.

I think she could hold her own against those pesky bears. :)

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  14. FireWater

FireWater Senior Member

Welcome!

15. BC Barry

BC Barry Member

Thank you!!