1. WaxedThighs

WaxedThighs New Member

Hi all, would you say this is a good place to find constructive criticism?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by WaxedThighs, Dec 6, 2016.

I'm soon off to uni to study Literature, but haven't really had any feedback from people my own age (18) as to what they like/dislike about my style of writing. Is this the place to find that? I often find that what school wants from you in terms of prose isn't exactly a good analogue for what an audience would want. Also i'm happy to help however I can. Peace out.

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

You can definitely get critiques here, once you meet the requirements.

But... when you say you're going to university to study literature - that'll be literature written by other people, right? Like, the focus of your courses will be the study and analysis of other people's work, not your own? Is that accurate? Or are you going to some sort of creative writing program?

Or maybe you're looking for feedback on your academic writing. There's less of that here, but you can still probably get a bit of feedback, for sure.

3. WaxedThighs

WaxedThighs New Member

I'm interested in creative writing, and it's feedback about that which i'm interested in predominantly. My course won't be in creative writing, but in my opinion studying other people's writing is a good way to improve yourself (stylistically, anyway). Thanks for the fast reply by the way.

4. Infel

Infel Contributor Contributor

Welcome to the forum... I'm going to call you Mr. Thighs!

This is a great place to get constructive criticism. The people are very friendly and also honest. They won't tear you down, but they will tell it like it is. Be prepared to have your stuff reviewed thoroughly, and also be sure to separate people's subjective opinions on your subject matter from objective advice on your general writing!

You'll need at least 20 posts doing useful things like giving your feedback on other people's work before you dive into having your own stuff critiqued, but if you have questions I think you're allowed to start new threads to ask them. Depending on what you write, there's probably already a ton of threads you might care to look through and contribute too yourself.

Welcome!

5. WaxedThighs

WaxedThighs New Member

Thanks Infel!

6. Caribean

Caribean New Member

Hello Waxed Thighs!

I am a native German speaker and I am going to be a future English and Biology teacher. Unfortunately, literature is just a small part of my studies. We Austrians have to study 6 years (Bachelor and Master). In these years we have around 7 literature courses and one creative writing course. That's not very much. One semester contains 30 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) and this should be equivalent to your 12 (or 15???) credits. We have around 10 courses per semester, every course can have 1-4 credits. The amount of writing theory and training is low compared to all the other courses on linguistics and didactics.

So that's why I am here. I registered to get writing practice and improve my writing style since English it is not my mother tongue and often it is hard for me to find the right words.