1. mmoraleshoward

mmoraleshoward New Member

Taking the next step

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mmoraleshoward, Mar 10, 2015.

My name is Morgan and of course, I'm very new to the forums. I've been writing for a long time. I mean a really long time. I was writing poems and stories in grade school!

The reason why I've joined the forums is that while I've taken to writing for my own enjoyment, I want to see where I'm at. It's so important for me to improve. But even then, I find myself so nervous when I'm up against writers that have endured heavy critique and have really taken their craft more seriously than I have in the past. So I'm putting aside my fear and diving right in.

I'm looking forward to interacting with not only the more experienced writers, but writers like me that are open to criticism and need a lot of work. :)

2. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Hello and welcome, Morgan!

I suggest you take a look at the New Member Guide to get hang of the rules and stuff.

Also, I don't think there is a single writer out there who isn't in need of a lot of work. There is always something to improve, even for the very best. ;)

Have fun!

mmoraleshoward likes this.
  3. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Morgan,

Glad you decided to join us here and I hope we cross paths on the forum. Concern about having your work looked at and reviewed by others is pretty normal. If anything, good crits will help you improve, and it'll also thicken your skin for reviews of works you might have published some day, because even the best works won't work for everyone.

4. mmoraleshoward

mmoraleshoward New Member

Thank you for the welcomes!

Komposten
    Thank you! The guide was very helpful. A bit nervous about giving constructive criticism that will be helpful, but I think the guide within the article has great tips.

TWErvin2

I definitely need to develop thicker skin. I do a lot of visual art too and it took me years to the get the thick skin to have it ripped to shreds by other artists.

Being published would be great. I have no doubt after taking a good look at the talented writers here that I'll get the help I need. I notice there are some particularly talented writers in horror and science fiction here, which also has me excited about what kind of feedback or knowledge I can get from them. Thank you again!

5. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome.