1. kenc

kenc Member

New member working on first story

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kenc, Jan 12, 2017.

Greetings writers,

Like many people I've had the idea of writing something rattling around in the back of my mind for many years. Recently I've had some free time, so I decided to procrastinate no more, and just dive right in.

I am writing a science fiction story. I have always been interested in this genre, and the interesting philosophical questions it is often able to discuss. But I also have a decent knowledge of physics, and it's important to me that the story be scientifically valid. So that means no time travel, wormholes, faster-than-light travel to other worlds or suchlike. But I do also like humour, and don't want the story to take itself too seriously. Therefore I am trying to balance these competing aspects while still making for an interesting plot.

It's probably around one-third complete, being around 30,000 words so far. Although, I feel like it's nearer to the climax already than I would have expected, so maybe it will end up being a short(-ish) story instead. And no doubt it will need plenty of editing yet.

It is my first serious attempt at creative writing, so for all I know, it could be utter drivel. No one else has read any of it yet.

I haven't even decided yet what I want to do with it if and when it is finished. At the moment it's just a way of challenging myself.

Anyway, that's my introduction. Hope to be hanging around this forum more in future.

2. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Hi there :)

Welcome to our site! You'll find that we have quite a few members who write sf, and for accurate phys there are also a few who know enough to ask (I recommend the recent 'Interstellar War' thread, in 'By the Genre'/'Science Fiction') btw.

So get on with writing, hang around and make friends. Have fun! :)

A man called Valance likes this.