1. Hyperior29

Hyperior29 New Member

Hi everyone!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Hyperior29, Jun 4, 2021.

Hi, I am person who has always been interested in writing and storytelling, but have always had trouble getting anything off the ground. I hope to learn some useful techniques here.

2. Joe_Hall

Joe_Hall I drink Scotch and I write things

If you are wanting to refine your craft, this is a place full of super smart people to learn from. I think the hardest part of writing is, ironically, the writing part. We dream up these fantastic stories but when it comes to putting in the time to type them up, we procrastinate. My advice is to just write if you want to get it off the ground. Don't edit your first draft until you are done. Self-editing your first draft as you write it will keep you from finishing anything. Hammer it out and edit it after. Welcome to the forums!

3. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

1. Come up with a sentence, either out of your own head, something you overheard while eavesdropping, or a random sentence from a book you opened.

2. Sit down with some kind of writing apparatus, be it pen and paper or computer.

3. Set a clock for five minutes.

4. Write down the sentence.

5. Immediately write down whatever comes into your head without stopping to consider how it sounds, how its worded, whether spelling is correct, or commas in the right spot.

6. Keep writing without stopping at least until the clock dings.

Now you've started, Congratulations. Repeat.

Another idea to start:

1. Think of a story you like to tell.

2. Record yourself telling the story,

3. Transpose the spoken story onto paper.

4. Edit the written story,

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021