1. Shayhara

Shayhara New Member

Hi everyone

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Shayhara, Oct 4, 2010.

Hello,
    I am Shayhara (Shay) I am twenty- seven and married to the love my life. That said, We live in Iowa, raise rabbits, chickens,ducks, guinea fowl, and Beagles. I work part time at Wal-Mart and have always loved writing, I seem to be good at the first "chapter" then loose my focus and never get any farther. I have recently decided to try and finish one of my stories, and decided the first place to start was by seeing what others are doing, and if its even good enough to keep going! I sent three of my favorites to my sister " I know she is biased but she also reads everything she can get her hands on, and has the same taste as me in books" She picked the one she thought would be the best to go forward with and I am having some great new ideas about where to go with the story.
    So Hello everyone, hopefully you will be seeing me around often.
    Thanks!
    Shay

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Shay, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Please read How to Use the Review Room before you post there. Posting your own writing for people to comment on should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out the RPG forum for improvisational fiction. Also try our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

3. makdadsb

makdadsb New Member

Hi, and welcome. Good luck to you on that story. I used to have the same problem - I never had trouble starting a story, but they never went anywhere.

4. Naiyn

Naiyn New Member

Welcome, Shay.

5. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I am so jealous I can't even have chickens where I live making do with cat and dog, promised the kids a guinea pig or rabbit next year.

Look forward to getting to know you better through the forums

-Charlotte

6. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

Can I have a rabbit? :D

Hi there, as well. :p It's great to have someone who just reads your stuff for enjoyment - such a good confidence boost. :D

7. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Welcome Shay, and cool pets. :)

8. Shayhara

Shayhara New Member

thanks

Thank you for the welcome. I love having my chickens, nothing like fresh eggs. We also enjoy the ducks, though they are very messy, they are so much fun to watch. Our guinea fowl are fascinating, they though raised from keets here are no where near as tame as the chickens and ducks. I really enjoy seeing there natural flocking instincts, especially this fall as our three hens have all hatched groups of keets, One just bringing back her second clutch today, all the adults help in raising the babies, and watching all the different ages together is very cool.
    The rabbits are a lot of fun, we where not able to sell as many as we had planned this fall and may be cutting our numbers down next year.

Thanks again for the welcome, I have tried to set aside a little time ever day for writing, and for reading others work on here. I have had some awesome idea's and they are helping me to stay excited about the story and trying to move it along.

9. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

Hi and welcome