1. Rick Hubka

Rick Hubka New Member

Hi from Rickey - My secret of starting a fiction novel

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rick Hubka, Dec 9, 2017.

Hello.
    I'm R. R. Hubka but you can call me Rickey, my real name. I am yet another old man (64) starting to write a fiction novel. In one year I will retire from a government job as a computer programmer. Pretty old for a computer programmer eh?

Seriously, I am crazy. I truly believe that and feel my mind has existed in a quasi make-believe world my whole life. My mother was the same. Us 5 kids called her the drama queen till she passed 5 years ago. Both of us broke the mold. I really have not decided yet if that's good or bad and am hoping my writing will yield the answer as good.

I love writing but just like reading. I love computers, electronics, woodworking, mechanics, guitar, CNC. I built my own large CNC machine 2 years ago because as I've always told my 2 children. You can do anything if you really want to.

I have lived in the computer world since it's conception. What a ride! In 1971 in school I wrote computer programs in Fortran on 100's of cards of paper and passed them through a glass window at the university of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada to have the room size IBM main frame computer compile the hole punched carded program and return me a stack of folded paper with the result.

I have worked in computers for companies such as: Government, Construction, Restaurant, Oil Companies. Sometimes as an employee and sometimes as a consultant.

So, my first novel is going to be fiction about what I know best. Computers, the Internet and Cyber Crime/hackers stirred in with Government, Big Business and Microsoft. I have a strong main Character and have drafted the first chapter. I still have tons of research to do in the Cyber crime, Hackers, Vulnerability and Security Breaches, etc.

I have good books and videos on writing and have purchased Scrivener for the PC. I plan to self-publish on Create Space. As stated above I have one year till I retire so am targeting one year to complete the novel. We'll see?

My wife is an angel. She really is. To put up with me and my wild ideas for 41 years she must be. However, I really feel I have pushed her too far. Because of this, my novel writing goal is currently a secret. Yes, I've kept it a secret for 2 months and do not plan to tell her until I have written several chapters. Maybe in the spring of 2018. In my house, it’s hard to write several chapters of a book secretly.

Because she rightfully agrees I am crazy, I feel I need something substantial and decent written to show her as proof of my intention being valid. If not, she will just flip out on me yelling. "You are so busy with all your other projects and hobbies you decided to write a book too? Why don't you just shoot me and call that you next project". See what I mean?

I keep you posted on my book progress and this secret from my wife.

Back to the story. The wife's out at work. he.

Cheers.

Rickey from Chemainus BC Canada