1. Blue Rhapsody

Blue Rhapsody New Member

"Hi"gh School Superhero

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Blue Rhapsody, Jul 31, 2010.

The reason I put "Hi" in quotes in the title is because this is my first thread here, and I'm also posting an idea.

So, hi, I'm Blue Rhapsody, an aspiring writer. I was looking for a writing community to share ideas with, and this one came up. It truly was love at first sight.

So, on to the idea. As a writer-to-be (hopefully), I particularly want to write somewhere in comic books or at least the general comic book genre. The idea I have and plan to write is this:

As hinted in the title, the story revolves around a high school, Chimaera City High to be exact. Chimaera High is not like most high schools, though. No, it isn't a school for wizards, but rather it's a school for bullies, punks, dirtbags, and just all around nasty people. A reader would identify the teachers as corrupt, allowing the upperclassmen to get away with anything, and the younger students basically prey. At Chimaera High, you couldn't go a day without seeing some poor freshman getting his money stolen and his self thrown in the dumpster. It was a scary place for a high school.

Enter James Drake. James is just now beginning high school, ready to take on his freshman year. James enjoys many things, but mostly he likes to read.

The new freshman sees the school for what it truly is, a wasteland of fear and hatred. He decides that something needs to be done about it.

For weeks, James thinks of what he could do, eventually coming to the conclusion that his plans are a simple pipe dream, and that nothing would work. He began to think the school was lost.

Then one day, James falls victim to a group of seniors. Awaking in the dumpster with empty pockets and a black eye, he knows what he must do.

With the help of his best friend and older brother, James fabricates and develops the ultimate plan to save the school. Using a homemade costume and utility belt, James begins to fight back, taking a new name.

James becomes the FreshMan.

----------------

That's the idea. I figure if it were to come through, it could be a five book series, one for each year of high school and a fifth where he returns as a teacher, recruiting a new FreshMan.

What do you guys think?

2. Berko

Berko New Member

I was hoping the "hi" meant something else. :cool:

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

And I was glad it didn't.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

you're about to hear from cog [our classroom monitor and generous uber-tutor] in re the site rule about not asking for help with your own writing, till you've helped a couple of 'older' members first...

and your 'hi' should be in the intro section [another site rule]... but welcome to wd.org anyway!

love and hugs, maia

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

As promised (threatened?):

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has all been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

6. Norm

Norm New Member

Go for it! I think that high schools have a lot to offer in terms of a setting for an action novel. (My current action novel takes place at a high school as well.)

7. erik martin

erik martin Active Member

Sounds great. On the other hand it sounds like a rip-off. Welcome :)

8. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy New Member

Reminds me of Kick-Ass.
    I haven't seen that movies, but I heard mixed reviews. So I'll give you a mixed comment: Sounds like Kick-Ass.

:D

9. SilverRam

SilverRam New Member

What Cog said. However because this is a comic the media will be more visual. Panel placement, art style and layout will have to tell the story in the same way diction and other writing... things would a book.(I'm not much of a writer. I apologize.) This would be up to the artist with some guidance from you, the writer.
    Actually I'm not a hundred percent sure how writer-to-artist transitions go. I have no idea about commercial comic book makers, but I have seen some independent writers sketch crude panel layouts for the artist to follow. But I'm sure it's differs for everyone.
    You have a concept, right now your best friend might be 'why?'.
    Why are the teachers corrupt? Why are the seniors bullies to the younger kids? Are they privilege rich kids who know their bad behavior will be allowed, or do they have a chip on their shoulder against the world?(And why?) And wouldn't the parents get upset their kids aren't protected by the teachers? Why does James assume this role, does he have a strong sense of justice.
    You may already have all these things answered. In that case I have nothing more to say.

10. themotions

themotions New Member

I think this concept could holds a lot of potential but could fall into a cliche category if not done from the right angle. This seems to be your next step. Youve identified the begining and the problem being the demeanor of the high school and youve recognozed "point B" where the student will demolish the corrupt and rugid nature of the shool. BUt how do you get there? It would be neat to add a sub plot, perhaps the school is run this way as an experiment for some loony Principal to prove that "survival of the fittest" works. Maybe give it a "Big Brother" kind of feel. Perhaps show this super hero alter ego relating to different groups of poeple; each chapter or book a different way of showing why people want or don't want this havoc in their life. I think you should think and learn more about the school youve created in your head before writing but great beginnings! congrats!

11. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 Active Member

Side note: I was waiting to see a post by Cog, you can pretty much set your watch by him sometimes.

Anyways

For a super-hero spinoff it's sounds like it has promise, of course you'll never know until you write it then ask for reviews on the piece. Now I'm not saying your plot it good, or it's bad, I'm just saying write it then ask about it.

Any story can be a great story, you just have to make it into that masterpiece.

Oh, and welcome to the site

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

cog's usual is on first page of replies, sw...