1. Rence

Rence Member

Hi guys

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rence, Aug 27, 2019.

Glad to be here, the advice will be invaluable.

I've played with writing over the years and have now plotted my first novel. It's going to be a long and bumpy journey, but I think this forum will make the journey somewhat more comfortable.

Nice to e-meet you all!

2. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    Welcome, Rence.

I've definitely found some forums helpful in here. What genre is your novel?

3. Rence

Rence Member

Hi there. It's a thriller. It starts with a horrific crime and the main body of the book is the investigation.

4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hi Rence.

I’m one of the moderators here, and I want to welcome you to the forum. :) If you haven't had a chance to yet, be sure to check out New Member Quick Start and Forum Rules.

You can contact me or one of the other active mods (big soft moose or Iain Aschendale) if you have any questions or run into problems. We’ll do our best to help.

Just for information: You will need to have 2 weeks' membership and make at least 20 posts before you become a full Member. Your official status will then change from New Member to Member, and will show up beneath your forum name and avatar.

You must be a full Member and also do 2 constructive critiques of other people’s writing before our software allows you to post your own work in the Workshop for feedback—see the New Member Quick Start guide (above) for details.

In the meantime, go ahead and browse the whole forum. Jump into any one of the numerous discussions that are ongoing here. Get to know us, and let us get to know you!

Is the story you're writing a police procedural, or does it involve amateur detectives?

5. Rence

Rence Member

Many thanks for the warm welcome. I will read through the new member guide.

My story will be about a suspended DCI going rogue to investigate the crime. One of the reasons I joined the forum is to try to get some info on procedure, is there anyone on here with that kind of knowledge?

jannert likes this.
  6. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Let me give that some thought. What will be important, however—where is your story laid? Laws vary depending on where events happen. The more specific you can be, the better. (For example laws vary from one state to another in the USA.)

You might want to start a thread in our Research section (upper quadrant of the listings on the Community page) when you have a specific question in mind.

I would also recommend that you browse earlier threads in that section BEFORE starting one of you own. I think this general topic has been dealt with several times. The help you need might already be there.

If it's not, feel free to start a new thread with your specific question.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  7. Rence

Rence Member

It will be set in the south east of England where I'm from.

Many thanks for the advice, I will have a good search.

jannert likes this.