1. nicgentile

nicgentile New Member

Hi, I write about crime. Not what you think though.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nicgentile, Feb 16, 2023.

Hi,

My name is Nic. I'm an author currently running a daily release series on my own blog/newsletter.

I'm not sure about self-promotion here, so I will keep it very generic.

My story, set in the 70s, is about an unlikely quartet, set somewhere on an idyllic West African island, who team up to form a heist gang. They rob criminals, corrupt politicians, drug dealers and basically other bad guys. My main aim is to make each story as operationally sound as possible, including getting stuff like news articles right, locations, procedures, facts etc, and sometimes the stories lean into actual historic facts. I spend 200 - 300 hours doing research alone, including reading and watching old movies, documentaries, old newspapers, and old maps, sometimes I send emails to historical societies and people knowledgeable in such matters and what have you.

I do a single part every single day on my blog, and it is also delivered as a newsletter. My current story is around 56k words and is released at between 1,500 - 3,500 words per day. I'm hoping to grow this into a graphical novel at some point, and even an animation if I can swing it.

I have both paid and free subscribers so that is a major step for me.

Based on my long-ass introduction, you can see tl;dr is not for me. If anyone needs a link, I will shoot it to you, or if I am allowed to post it here, someone can tell me it's cool.

Later.

2. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Hi Nic, and welcome to the forum

The forum rules are pretty clear on this:-

This is a community of writers/people with an interest in writing of a huge variety of levels and abilities, but it isn't a market-place (to be honest it's the wrong place to be marketing your work if you stop and think about it... )

You are very welcome here, and it would be great if you want to share your knowledge and experience or chew the fat with like-minded people, and I hope you choose to stick around and join in

3. nicgentile

nicgentile New Member

Well, I did not come to market per se, I am keen on becoming more knowledgeable on writing, improving my skills, solving some logical and grammatical issues I keep running into, and if I can help, I am more than happy to share the knowledge that I have. There are many writing groups I tried on Discord, but that place moves too fast and it really becomes boring real quick. Forum is more at my pace. Let's see how this goes. I'm in no hurry to leave.

Hammer likes this.
  4. RMBROWN

RMBROWN Senior Member

Nic, great intro. I have always been amazed at how poorly a lot of new members introduce themselves. This is after all a writing site and everybody is writing about the one thing they are an expert at, themselves. It is refreshing to see you describe yourself as passionate about doing the research to give your writing credibility. I personally believe even good fiction is 90 percent factual with the ten percent thrown in, so that is now sound story. My nephew Matt Brown wrote for the TV series Swat for a couple of years. I busted his balls over the bullshit story lines and over the top situations and remedies that were the premise for some of the shows. He had the ability to walk into a police precinct and get cops to share real life story lines with him, plus his dad is in law enforcement and he really never used any of those tools to his advantage. Shawn Ryan, who produced the Sheild also produces Swat but the writing is to a different standard. He claims he is writing for what the audience wants and what sells. The show is still on the air and he got paid, which is all any writer could ask for.

It is nice to see a writer taking the time to make their work believable. There are some really good writers here. They have helped me with grammar and content so they read well. Read and comment, critique on some of the stories here that have writers with the strengths you are looking to improve. The best way to get someone to read your stuff and comment on is to read theirs.

Welcome to the forum, I am looking forward to reading some of your work.

5. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

Nic.
    Welcome. I understand the time to research because I write historical fiction and often spend more time looking for a name and a time period than I do writing.
    I like the Robin Hood type stories and often thought they could spread across modern scenarios, especially crimes that devastate the proletariat.