1. JonathanDHall

JonathanDHall New Member

Brief Introduction

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JonathanDHall, Jan 11, 2011.

Hello, everyone. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Jonathan Hall, and I am from New Orleans, LA. I'm new to writing in general, but I've been writing a long time. I say I'm new in a sense that I've never realized until this point that writing is such a passion to me. I enjoy the fact that I can take a string of words and put them together in such an order that seems to captivate the reader and want them to continue on. However, I have a very crude style of writing, often filled with obfuscated views and twisted moral. I've been called sick, I've been called sinister and I've been called absolutely brilliant. Then again, I've also been called the anti-christ, and a mad man. Aside from my style of writing, I'm a very solitary creature. I know a lot of people, but I tend to limit my interaction with them as much as possible. I enjoy my time to myself, which makes me often wonder how the hell I have maintained any of the relationships I've had, let alone the sex life of them. However, it takes time to really understand the way that I think and the type of logic that I use to determine what is going to come out of me next.

I particularly enjoy taking a topic, and letting my imagination run wild with it. For instance, I've created this entire theory around the common cold and the flu. Every year, the strains get more and more resistant to our vaccines, and to no avail they continue to grow stronger each year. I have an interesting logic to that. I, personally, believe that the cold and the flu is such a nasty little virus, as is any other. Think about this, it's a horde of foreign cells invading your body and using it as a host for nutrition. They run around your body in search for new land in which to colonize, said land being red and white blood cells. And notice, I say in which to colonize, because they don't just simply get on to the blood cells and damage them. Oh, no. They're way too good for that. They like to get in them, and utilize the resources of them and replicate at a rate so fast that even a bullet couldn't keep up. Once they've finished using up all of the resources, and there's nothing left to take, they then move on to the next. It's a lot like sex, in a sense. Some people like to hit it, quit it, claim it theirs and then move on when there's nothing left to take. This theory in itself reminds me of an alien invasion in general, as far out in to left field as it may be. None the less, I believe that traits being similar to that of an alien invasion are really not the only reasons I have to support my theory for this. I also strongly believe that the aliens find it quite delectable when we run around sound like telephone operators due to snuffy noses. I also would not be surprised to find out that the Mars Martian Embassador owns a high percentage of stock shares in KleenEx and Charmin Ultra Puffs... Well, it could happen, I suppose. I also have a theory as to why bums are a crucial part of not only our economy, but our ecological system in general. However, perhaps we'll go to that topic at another time.

None the less, I truly hope to enjoy myself on these forums and I am looking forward to meeting a lot of very interesting, talented and inspiring writers to help further my love and ambition for creating pieces of work that not only entrance my readers, but leave them with a bitter taste wondering what the hell I managed to get in to when I was a child. None the less, you'll either love me, or hate me. If you hate me, you're going to eventually love me, so let's skip the man in the middle, and just love me.

2. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Aha, interesting intro. Welcome Jonathan. :)

3. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Great intro. Welcome. :)

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Jonathan, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Please read How to Use the Review Room before you post there. Posting your own writing for people to comment on should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out the RPG forum for improvisational fiction. Also try our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!