1. Aurora ✾

Aurora ✾ New Member

Hi! (Insert creative greeting...)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Aurora ✾, Dec 31, 2019.

Hey everyone! Sorry to disappoint, but I'm another female who likes to write fantasy. Haha. I do like to write science fiction too. At present, I'm a biologist by trade and looking to work either in state parks or environmental firms. However, writing is my hobby passion that I dream every day about making my main gig. One of my biggest obstacles is time, but I recently proved to myself that I can make it work if I'm willing to knuckle down and do it. So now I'm looking for feedback, collaboration, and inspiration! I'm at the point where if I don't do something, my writing is going to plateau, so I'm excited to get blunt criticism and suggestions for improvement.

Looking forward to getting to know some of you in the near future!

2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hi, Aurora :)

I’m one of the forum moderators and I want to welcome you to the forum.

Certainly you don't need to be apologetic about writing Fantasy. I'd say it's probably the most popular genre here on the forum, and it's so wide-ranging as well. This means you will find LOTS of kindred souls here, who will be interested in what you're writing and will be willing to give feedback and advice when you ask for it. And your own insights into the genre will help them as well.

We do feedback, collaboration and inspiration here! You can find on all manner of inspiration on various threads threads. The feedback is done only in our Workshop area, which is explained in our

New Member Quick Start

If you haven't already read this section of the forum, please do so. It will help keep you on track, and give you a notion of what our requirement for posting for feedback are. We do have requirements for the Workshop participation, which exist to prevent people joining the forum, getting feedback without giving anything back, and vanishing into the blue. This is a participation-oriented writing site, and we want to encourage give and take.

Collaboration has its own section of the forum, but there are requirements for participating there as well. Again, it's to encourage a settling-in period for our membership. Collaboration can be a risky business, and it's a good idea to know something about the people you invite to collaborate with you before you take the plunge.

Please take the time to read our Forum Rules as well. They help to get you oriented, and also give you a notion of how we operate.

If you want a quick way to explore the forum's content, here is a great link below, and I use it often myself. It’s not a series of Frequently Asked Questions, but is, rather, a site map with links to all parts of the forum.

https://www.writingforums.org/faq/

If you have any problems getting settled, don’t hesitate to ‘start a conversation’ with me, and I’ll do my best to help. (Just click on my owl avatar and follow the signs.)

Anyway, take your time, settle in, participate in any threads that draw your interest. Giving critiques in the Workshop section is much appreciated by our members, and is also a requirement if you want to post your own work for feedback. Do a few critiques of pieces that interest you. Our ratio is 2 critiques given for every 1 requested, and this ratio exists not only for new members, but throughout your membership on the forum. So might as well get a head start.

If you aren't sure what we mean when we say 'critique' here's a link to read as well. It was written several years ago by one of our now-retired moderators, but it says it all:

https://www.writingforums.org/threads/constructive-critiques.20627/

Our writing contests (short story, flash fiction, and poetry) are also open to new members, both for entry and for voting. So you might want to check these out as well.

Anyway, hope you enjoy yourself, and I’ll see you around the threads.

Cheers, Jan

Aurora ✾ likes this.
  3. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

Welcome Aurora! How did you get that symbol next to your name? :)

Writing Science Fiction myself, having a lot of fun with it. Finding time to write might be a challenge, but try to set small goals for yourself, a few hundred words every day?

Aurora ✾ likes this.
  4. Aurora ✾

Aurora ✾ New Member

Haha easy! Copy and paste! It's a "special character" or "other symbol" option in most word/page/google documents.

I'm starting to lean more towards science fiction every day... And small goals for sure! I make myself do at least something creative with writing every day, even if it's just for fun.

Some Guy and Madman like this.
  5. Steve Rivers

Steve Rivers Contributor Contributor

Lean, girl. LEAN I say! Scifi doesn't half need more female writers.

Aurora ✾ and Some Guy like this.