1. blklizard

blklizard Member

Trying to Improve as a Writer

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by blklizard, Nov 25, 2016.

Hi everyone!

I'm blklizard and I joined in hopes of improving my writing. I'm from Canada on the west coast. Currently, I'm just a student in college learning a trade but my real love is still writing. I know a few of my weaknesses but, without proper feedback, I don't feel like I am improving as much as I want to. I hope to not only improve my writing but also maybe make some friends here. Thank you!

blklizard :)

2. O'ree Williams

O'ree Williams Member

Hey Blklizard,
    I too am in this boat of seeking proper feedback. If you're game, I will be happy to review your work. Perhaps we can work together if it suits.

3. blklizard

blklizard Member

That sounds great! I just have to wait two weeks before I can post any of my work (still deciding what genre I want to do first though :p). I eagerly await reading your writing too. :)

4. O'ree Williams

O'ree Williams Member

Likewise, I just joined earlier this week. Once we've reached the 2 week spot, the flood gates will be opened!

5. Patsy

Patsy Member

Hi from another newbie.

6. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Just remember that you have to post two critiques for every work to be critiqued ;)

Welcome to the site!

7. blklizard

blklizard Member

Hi there! Guess we can critique the work of each other if we have similar writing skills. :p

Thanks for the warm welcome! All I'm doing lately is checking out people's work and critiquing them the best I can. It's not exactly easy. :p

8. blklizard

blklizard Member

Thanks for the welcome! :)

9. Infel

Infel Contributor Contributor

Welcome aboard guys!

And I know it's been said a thousand times, but truly, the benefit of critique is in GIVING it. You learn a LOT by what comes out of your own mouth (or fingers).

Not to discount receiving critique! That's good for the soul on multiple levels.

10. blklizard

blklizard Member

Thanks for the welcome!

For sure, I have been reading the different pieces by people and thoroughly enjoying the experience. I just don't like giving critiques on issues I myself need to work on. :p

11. Tebrim

Tebrim Member

Hey! I'm a newbie too and recently joined for similar reasons and just to communicate with people who share writing as a passion ( don't know many if any in person haha )
    Welcome to all! And I hope we can collectively learn lots and be inspired >,< I know I've been writing more recently and I'm very happy about it :)

12. blklizard

blklizard Member

Hi!

I think we will meet more people once we start posting our work and get critiques. There is only so many people we can meet by giving critiques of our own. :)

Yup, I an having fun writing out my new idea as well. Just hope I won't get distracted.

13. PenelopeWillow

PenelopeWillow Member

I can't wait to start giving feedback on this site and getting some in return. I think that the most important way to improve as a writer is to enrich your mind. And to write! Write and live as much as you can. Experiences can inspire your writing in brilliant ways.

I started being consistent with my writing a month ago and have noticed improvement. I also try to read as much as I can. When you feed your mind you can then feed your writing. :)

P.S.- I will look out for your writing and give some feedback for sure.

14. blklizard

blklizard Member

Thanks! I think I have almost reached my two weeks wait and had done some critiques along the way.

Writing and putting ideas on paper is great but I find that, without proper feedback, you just don't know if you are presenting it properly. In the end, what really matters is to show the reader what you imagined because we don't have visuals to help us.

I will be happy to give feedback once you can post your writing as well.

15. PenelopeWillow

PenelopeWillow Member

Oh thank you.
    And, no arguments there. I feel the feedback I have had is very biased. That's what is great about this site. I hope to get some very honest feedback.