1. JK47

JK47 New Member

New Member / Book Idea Help

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JK47, Apr 12, 2012.

Hello,

My name is Justin and I go by JK47. I just joined today, first post here :). A word of caution my spelling and grammer is terrible so I appologize in advance since this site will notice, again sorry and please bare with me. I have an idea for a book but have no writing skills to write it myself. Are there people you can tell a story to and will write a book for you? I assume that has to be done in person or can it be done on the phone?

I had a stroke (three technically) at 29 years old from a injury I suffered from a chiropractor adjustment and came close to losing my life. The injury was VAD, vertebral artery dissection that clotted. I had to relearn to walk among many many other challenges. One of the experiences (the most significant to me) was part of the "rewiring" process in my brain and my counselor suggested I share my story to others for inspiration since it is in her words "inspiring and truely unique". I can assure you it's a powerful story to those I have spoken to about it. So back to my original question is is possible for someone else good at it to write a book for you without being taken advantage for a good book idea to help other people? Just looking for some advice from people who are into writing on where to get started or if I should just forget about it?

If this should be in a different section of the site can someone move it and email me where to find again? Thank you!!!!! :)

2. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

There are profession ghost writers. You'll have to do some research. You'll need to document what the book is about and have an idea of how long it will be.

There a different types of ghost writers. You're better off doing at least an outline. The more you can do the less hours they'll have to spend on the job.
    If they have to drag the story out of you and do everything it will cost a lot. It's a lot cheaper if they just have to rewrite and expand on something you already have. Then there is all the contract terms. Like i said do your research. There are agencies you can long into.

3. JK47

JK47 New Member

Thank you superpshco! Are youb able to recommend an agency or is that not allowed? Regarding an outline is there rules for that as in like if I were to write a snipet from the main part of the story or do I need to do most of the writing and they clean it up? Thanks!

4. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

Wouldn't no who to recommend. Just do a web search and go from there. When you find a name, do a search to see if there's any info on them. You search until you find someone people like.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

jk...
    i do ghostwriting now and then for selected clients and while i tailor my fees to what the client can afford, since i don't have to do it for a living, hiring a ghostwriter is a very costly step to take... even at my discounted rates...

a good ghostwriting service will cost you in the double-digit thousands... and that's up front, because no one who's good enough at it to turn out a marketable book will do it for a cut of the profits after the book is sold, since even with the best writer on the planet, there's no guarantee your book will ever be accepted by a paying publisher... and self-published novels rarely even make enough to cover the publishing costs, much less turn enough profit to offset your writer's fees...

you can google for ghostwriting services, but be aware that most of those you find online will be either outright scam artists or, at best, not good enough at it to make the result good enough to interest agents or publishers...

if you want any further info or if i can help you find one you can trust, don't hesitate to drop me a line...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

6. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Hey JK47, I am so sorry to hear you have suffered like that! But I am really glad you pulled through. I would like to encourage you to consider writing the book yourself. With a little education in how to do it (there are quite a few excellent books on writing) and a fascinating true story you have to offer, you might enjoy it :)

7. Walid

Walid New Member

That must've been one hell of an experience.

Why don't you do it yourself, though? Even if it takes months or years to write down. Stick to one page per day, that's what I do.

In a year's time you would have come up with 365 pages, and the quality really doesn't matter at this point - especially if its still a first draft. What I'd do then is have an editor help me out and see how it goes from there.

If you get stuck on a certian page, or even chapter, skip it until you're done.

8. JK47

JK47 New Member

Thanks for the reply Maia!!! I had no idea it could be so expensive, that is a shame :(

Thanks for the kind words Jazzabel! I am glad I pulled through as well, my family too. I wish I could write the book but I am not able to really. It would take a long time for me and unfortunatly I am losing memory faster than recovering it.

Thanks for the advice Walid. Like I mentioned above due to some scar tissue I have an ongoing memory loss that I feel would win the battle over the war so to speak. In fact that is the reason I am seeing a counselor in the first place to assist me in developing mental skills to retain memory among a few other things.

Hohenestly this sounds to me like it is a great idea but not feasible. Perhaps I can get my wife or a loved one to assist me but if not I don't think this would be happening :( thanks again for all of the hohnest feedback folks, you've been very kind to a newbie :D

9. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Hey AK, that with your memory is really unfortunate. I do hope counselling can help, but in the mean time, why don't you just record your words, take some time every day, if you can, and try to narrate the events as you remember, but also anecdotes from childhood, things that might tie in with your state of mind at different stages of recovery, anything that comes to mind really. Let a dictaphone record it and then a family member can transcribe it all (write it out exactly word for word). You'll end up with a story, in case you forget it can always jog your memory or be edited and polished later either by you or someone else :)

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

that's excellent advice...

11. marcuslam

marcuslam New Member

Welcome to the forum, JK47! That's quite a background you have there. Huge respect for having the determination to pull through.

I'd definitely say no to giving up on writing. Like several members have said, just write one word at a time and really enjoy the process. If you're having fun while writing, well, you've already succeeded. :)