1. Charlemagne Swift

Charlemagne Swift New Member

Hello, weird world of writers

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Charlemagne Swift, May 14, 2016.

(sorry if the alliteration is insulting)

I'm a young writer, only 16 (and writing a novel on a blog), so I'm here to see how to make my writing better and hopefully gain an audience (didn't give a link, so I'm not advertising :agreed: (I read the rules! ).

For those wondering about me personally, I am a fan of science, long books, and nachos. I am Australian, though I somehow grew up with a somewhat British accent (must have been the bbc) and I like the idea of time travel - which would feature habitually in my novel.

Others describe me as a sporty nerd, and very quiet, though I silence an entire room when I raise my voice (not sure yet if they were scared of my loud voice, or in shock that I raised my voice)

Thank you, and please tell me if you understand the previous two paragraphs, I often have to rewrite sentences because people don't understand me.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  2. Greenwood

Greenwood Active Member

Hello there!

Good to see a young person taking up writing! You're only 16, so you have plenty of time to learn ahead of you. Not saying you're bad, mind you, but I only started writing seriously at 24, and now wish I would have done so much, much earlier. Looking forward to reading anything from you. Time-travel is an interesting, if not precarious subject to read and write about. In due time, you can always throw up some snippets of your novel in the Workshop to have it appraised or ripped to shreds, both in a constructive manner.:D

Science, long books and nacho's are a perfect combination, although I personally don't favor nacho's as the spices tend to ruin the flavor's of my cherished pints.

So, Ave! and welcome to the forums. There's a lot to learn here, and plenty of good folks and discussions to go around. And don't worry about your British accent. Written text often tends to be void of any weird pronunciation.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
    Oscar Leigh likes this.
  3. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Welcome to the madhouse! :D
    Don't worry, being Australian isn't all too uncommon here, and there are plenty of Brits. I've been talking to some just this 'avo. :p:p
    I'll just introduce myself as a 17 year old Australian (almost 18). I'm nerdy but not sporty. I like science too. I also like history, law, politics and activism, along with numerous other interests. I have an obsession with creative writing so I'm happy to help you with stuff.
    Oh, and I understand you perfectly!

4. Charlemagne Swift

Charlemagne Swift New Member

Thank you for saying that, and I've read a lot into the subject, though it is quite a narrow field, but surprisingly it is still a field of study. Hopefully I don't destroy the space time continuum in my novel, and the Forum members like it (emphasis on hopefully)
    I can't tell if you actually talk like that, or just typing it to be a "True-blue Aussie", either way, I'm glad to see i'm not the only teenage Australian to be on this site. Oh and by the way, its spelt Arvo'

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  5. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Damn! Yeah, I'm from the middle of Sydney, I'm not rural. I was just emphasizing the Auzzie-ness. :rolleyes:
    Btw your workload, presuming your actually in high school, is about to start growing faster than it ever has before. Good luck!

6. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Community Volunteer

Hey there!

I like the concept of time travel, myself, though I've never actually written anything incorporating it. Have you read Jack Finney's Time and Again? It's a great read, and a classic in the genre.

Welcome!

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  7. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

Welcome, If you like the idea of time travel then you must like Dr Who...

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  8. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

Hey, who you callin' weird, cartoon man? :bigtongue:

Welcome aboard! I too am working on a time travel piece! Well, not exactly. The time traveling happens before and after the story takes place, but.. It's there!

Good to have you! :-D

Oscar Leigh likes this.