1. bellaxxa

bellaxxa New Member

Hi!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bellaxxa, Nov 12, 2016.

Hello! My name is Bella. I'm quite new to this site. In fact, I made an account less than 30 minutes ago. ^o^ I'm 12 years old and a Pisces. I always have writers' block tbh, it sucks. I like writing, obviously. I am a perfectionist, which is why I can never "write and never look back" without looking back and fixing everything that was not scientifically accurate, or just accurate in general. I'd like to make new writer friends! No one at my school really likes writing lol. I'm a teacher's pet tbh. I'm an A student! You'd imagine Language Arts would be my favorite subject, but it's actually Science and Math. Regardless, I score pretty high in Language Arts and Science. In fact, Science is my highest grade! ^u^ I do 8th grade math, and it's actually my lowest grade lol (A-)

So like I said, I'd like to make new friends! ^u^ You can message me if you want, and we can talk!!

2. supine

supine New Member

Hello there, Bella! I'm Ronnie, and I'm new also.

Writers' block truly does suck. I suffer from it quite a lot also. Had a quick skim over a few other boards on the forum and there appears to many ongoing discussions about overcoming writers' block, however, so it looks as though we're in good hands!

Congratulations on the exceptional grades. Keep up the good work - you definitely won't regret being a 'teacher's pet' when you're older. The editing aspect of writing a novel is often time-consuming and tedious but it's incredibly important. Perfectionists make some of the best writers, in fact, I'd argue that you can't be a successful writer without also being a little bit of a perfectionist, too.

Looking forward to reading some of your work! Do you dabble in any genres in particular?

3. bellaxxa

bellaxxa New Member

My dad is quite critical of my writing ideas, pointing out flaws and stuff. They usually have TONS of flaws, so many that the whole story is one, gigantic plot hole.

Thanks! There are a few other 'teachers' pets' at my school as well. I write a lot of fanfictions and stuff, and I really want to write a novel. I am afraid my parents will not like the idea of publishing my story though, if I ever even write it for real.

^^ I mostly try and experiment with horror, mystery, and suspense. Kind of like Doctor Who, Sherlock, and Supernatural (I'm childish, I know). I also try writing fantasy and sci-fi, but I'm not really good at it.

4. supine

supine New Member

I think a lot of plot holes initially is a good thing, and as you find ways of tweaking your story to eradicate them your story can even wind up going in a better direction. Plus, they're learning experiences, you know? Say one such plot hole is caused by a sudden out of character moment in which your protagonist does something utterly unlike themselves. Maybe that's a sign that trying some 'getting to know your character' activities (which I find particularly enjoyable, by the way) would be hugely beneficial to you.

Excellent! Fanfictions are great for starting you off, because more often than not you're very passionate about the characters you're borrowing from the source materials and you already have a good idea of what plot structures and tone best fits the particular genres of, say, your favourite shows or movies, and you know how the characters speak, maybe a little bit about writing dialect. And, well, people will always find writing to be a strange thing to invest your time in. It makes you happy, however, and that's what counts. And if you have talent, it would be a shame to let it go to waste, wouldn't it?

Not at all. It shows you're imaginative. The good thing about the fantasy genre is you can be as unrealistic as you please in a lot of ways, but it's difficult to write fantasy stories sometimes for the same reason. Now I know why you're worried about plot holes, you like writing mysteries! From what I've seen, it takes a lot of scrapped ideas before you have your perfect crime and the perfect way of solving it. Don't be too hard on yourself. It's tough to have to write a complicated plot, which writing mystery stories pretty much requires you to do, and usually you need complicated characters to go along with it. People truly underestimate how hard writing can be!

5. bellaxxa

bellaxxa New Member

Honestly, I think those "writing webs" I learned about in 2nd grade can be really beneficial to me. I used to think they're a waste of time, but Rick Riordan even said he uses them for every book! I think I'm kind of lazy, tbh, so I always just "lame out" on those 'get to know your character' kinds of things.

Yep! I read and write a lot of them. I'm best at writing angst. I'll always write about some character from which TV show, but in a zombie apocalypse "The Walking Dead" kind of thing. Why would writing be a strange thing to want to do? "You won't make any money!!!!!!!" I'd rather do something I love everyday for work rather than something I hate. xD

True. I've been reading this webcomic called Homestuck for... 4 years now. Since I was 8. It's very good, but very complicated. It has over 7,000 pages, so I tend to forget a lot of it. My stories are really based off of that. It's my source of inspiration, and so is Criminal Minds. I finished that show in 5 months lol. Criminal Minds makes crimes so good but it's honestly kind of hard to come up with them by myself.